Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Our Yard..... Do Over

This is blooming in my front garden (I use the word very loosly) right now. Now the newspaper said yesterday that things are blooming because of stressful conditions in the spring so they are compensating. I think that is giving plant life too much credit. I think the things are just confused because of the Indian summer. Do you have anything blooming in your yard?

That little red thingy in the picture is another sign of Indian summer. It's a wild strawberry. We have a bunch of them growing wild all up and down our street, but I haven't seen any for a long time. I just happened to spot this one on the side of our house.



Well, I've been telling a few different people that I was gonna post pics of the black squirrels we have here in our perfect little town for months now. Today, after I dropped Bee off at school, I headed out to the yard with my camera, and since I had no small child with me to scare them off, I got a few pics of them finally. These squirrels are actually black. I know some of you will think nothing of this, but those of us from the midwest and most of the south have probably never seen a black squirel. I hadn't before I came here. You see, we have a small, prestigious (read hoity, toity and expensive) college in our town, and rumor has it that years and years ago someone from said college smuggled in these black squirels to live amongst the natives. They have since multiplied by the 1000's. I have never seen an area with so many squirells. We have them all.... your basic red squirel, your basic gray squirel, your not-so-basic black squirel, then because of the call of nature we also have your basic red and gray squirels, your basic red and black squirels, your basic gray and black squirels, and your basic red, gray, and black squirells.

Here's pics of one of backyard buddies.





Here's our backyard, left to right. We have lots of trees for the squirels and other wild things to jump around in. Most of the time, if you look out our back windows, you can spot something climbing around back there. This may not seem that amazing to some of you to have all these trees in our backyard, but our house in IN was in a new subdivision and had not a single tree with more than about 50 leaves on it because they were all young trees. We love all the trees!


7 comments:

Lauren said...

I swear, the one in the 3rd pic looks like a cat. Those are so cool! I love your yard! And that rose is very pretty, whether it's confused or compensating.

We may get some storms tonight. If they bring rain and not just wind, I'm all for them.

crt said...

i saw my first black squirrel a couple of weeks ago. i was the coolest thing. you are so lucky. (if you like fluffy tailed rats.)

Angie said...

eric went with us to michigan this past july when my grandmother passed away and freaked out when he saw a black squirrel...not so much that is was black although he thought that weird, but because it was the size of a large cat!!

btw...i'm so jealous of your yard! mine looks like a desert wasteland. i should post photos...maybe i will.

FarmWife said...

There are white squirrles in town here. They're very rare & the fines are very steep if you happen to run one over. We set in the park & watch for them...the like french fries.

I've never seen a black squirrel before. Pretty!!

Caslon said...

Your rose is beautiful!! Mine are blooming like crazy right now for the first time all year - I think they are confused.
The squirrels are cool - wish we had some here.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know there were such a thing as a black squirl. I agree with the ladies. They look like cats! At least, the ones in the pictures. My flowers are still blooming, too. God is just giving us a little more summer before the onslaught of winter. I have a small hibiscus (sp) that still has 5 buds so........ unless it frosts I will still have color for awhile. I wish I had kept count of all of the blooms that little things has given us. I just can't believe!!
Love you! nlt

Anonymous said...

Good Morning My Blessed Daughter...
The rose is beautiful...the earth is amazing...Dad & I purchased the Planet Earth...we are working our way through it...I am in ahhh at what I see.
Thanks for the pics it makes me feel closer to you.
Love you so much...
Mom