Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Clarification

To clarify my last post for my newer readers who may not know Miss Bee's history... sorry about that!! Bee has scoliosis caused by a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis (NF). NF can cause learning issues, tumors thata form on nerves causing pain, optic glioma (tumors around the optic nerve), which Bee has, lisch nodules (Prophet and her both have these), pseudoarthrosis (my niece has this of the tibia and is about to have her fifth surgery in as many years to correct it), scoliosis (Bee has it), and many other things. Bee was diagnosed with scoliosis at around at 18 months old when I noticed a lump on her chest and suspected it to be a rib protruding from her spine curving. I took her in and my suspiscions were right. Her curve has increased to 57 degrees as of last August. She's been wearing a brace for about 16 months now. She's grown out of her last one, so it was time for a new one. These pics are of the old brace that she has worn for the last 16 months.

These pics were taken the day we brought her brace home back in September of '07.
When I look at these pics, I realize how much she's grown since these were taken. Also how worn her brace looks after all these months of use. Yuck!!







The leg braces in this pic are just an example of the colors and pictures that will be on her back brace when it is finished. Sorry about the confusion guys!!

2 comments:

ANGELA VAUGHN said...

THANK YOU!!!! Im always confused so it really doesnt matter!lol!

KCFitch said...

Dear Grace and family -

I wanted to thank you for reaching out to me and Kaia. Seeing the happy smiles on your beautiful children's faces is inspiring to me as I wait and worry over Kaia's diagnosis. May God bless you and your family!