Wednesday, May 28, 2008

D.K.'s Debut

The boys school uses a discipline system where each child has a card with four colors on it...green, yellow, blue, and red. Each morning, each child starts on green. As the day goes on their card either stays green (if they behave) or it gets flipped to the various other colors. At the end of each month the entire school gathers in the school gym for what is called "The Green Assembly". While this may sound like a discussion of all things ecological, it's actually the time when all the kids who stayed on green for the entire month get their names called and get to stand up and have their pictures taken by classes for the bulletin board by the front office. It's a really BIG DEAL! Today's was the last one of the school year, so they also honored all the kids who managed to stay on green all year long... Prophet was one of the few that stayed on green all year long!! D.K. almost made, but not quite!!

For each assembly they open by singing The National Anthem. Normally the entire school sings together. This time, D.K. was asked to sing a solo. He did an awesome job! I am so proud of him. He has never sang in front of people like that before, so he was very nervous, but we couldn't tell. He got up there and sang his heart out, ending with the entire school joining him for the ending!



And as soon as he finished singing, he made a beeline for me and gave me a big hug before he went and sat down with his class!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! DK, Grandma & Papa are so proud of you!! You did an awesome job & that song is difficult! Way to go!! We love you!!!

Anonymous said...

WE ARE BIG TIME PROUD OF YOU... you did an amazing job...
Thank you for putting it on mom's blog...
Love you so much Buddy...
Granny & Pa

Anonymous said...

YEAH DK that was just awesome dude!!! Way to Go!!! Knuckles dude!! High Five!! YOU DA MAN!!!

zann said...

Awww! That's awesome! Way to go DK!
that takes a lot of guts to stand up and do that in front of people.

And congrats for both on the acheivement. From what I hear it's not easy being green - more less staying that way all year ;)

Good job to your boys!

Anonymous said...

He did such a great job! It's so cool when kids are put in the spotlight like that. Hope everything is wonderful!

B

Anonymous said...

OK... so I'm glad someone sees the whole potty training thing from my point of view. It's like my mother and MIL think that my husband and I are too stupid to raise a child. When we were at their house, and the baby was too sleepy and grumpy to get a bath a couple of nights, my mom would be like "well she can just get two of them tomorrow because she didn't get one at all today." Adam and I have both told our parents that we're competent enough to take care of her, and we've obviously done a pretty good job so far. However, they still have to slide their remarks in and annoy us. It really sucks, but it wouldn't be our family if our mother's weren't trying to dictate how to do things. We usually just ignore them!! :) BTW, I am going to wait on the whole potty thing. She hates having dirty diapers on as it is right now, so in a few more months, I think it'll be a breeze!! I'll have to email you with another story about how my parents deal with rules from when I was growing up and changing them now that my brother is growing up. You'll love it! And, my mom does NOT read my blog. They don't have the internet at home, and I didn't give my address to any family because I didn't want to be ridiculed and chastized for the stuff I post :)


<3
B