Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In Response

Below is the post in question. This will be the last time this will be discussed on my blog. I will not give anonymous the satisfaction after this post. I'm tempted not to hit publish and give the satisfaction at all, but alas my personality must defend myself. In the end, it's MY blog, and I can say whatever I want to on here. Yes, it's public, you have as much of a right to say what you want to in response, as I've done myself on other blogs (Hey Farmie and Bre), but I had also already commented on those peoples' blogs several times before so they knew me and I've ALWAYS signed my name to the comment. It's only decent. Anonymous is either a lurker whose been reading for awhile, or one of my regulars that just didn't want to put their name out there, because they know that I have a medical issue requiring alot of care, and I haven't spoken of that for awhile on here. So, without further ado...


"Have you ever had the desire to look at someone and say "You are barking up the wrong tree, dude?" I had the oppurtunity to do just that last night, and took it. One of the women in our church was complaining about how her daughter-in-law's private pediatric practice had to hire another doc just so they could split the malpractice insurance four-ways instead of three. So, now instead of $33,000 a year, it's $25,000 a year! She then made a statement about how the money they charge for medical care is somewhat justified between the malpractice insurance and their schooling. My response was "You've obviously never been sitting on over $50,000 worth of medical bills, have you. We are, and believe me, what they charge is anything but justified." She shut-up about it real quick."


This was the comment left from anonymous a couple posts ago...

"Are you sure that you have all the facts on this subject? Do you know how much the doctor truly gets once the health insurance has cut out their portion? That women's daughter is only trying to make a living just like everyone else in this world. It is not that doctors fault that you have a disease that requires a lot of medical care. I don't think you were justified in saying anything but, that is just my opinion. You seem to feel you are knowledgeable in most all areas of life but I don't think you have all the facts on this one. Just because you are upset that you have medical bills don't take it out on other people."



"Are you sure that you have all the facts on this subject?"

I'm not sure what facts you're speaking of. All I did in the post was state what was said in the conversation. There were no facts really to speak of.


"Do you know how much the doctor truly gets once the health insurance has cut out their portion?"

Well, my insurance does send me statements with the amount they were billed and the amount that they adjusted the bill to. And since you brought it up, why is it that the medical system will take the lower amount from an insurance company, but last year when I was without medical insurance for almost a year that they still billed me for the higher amount. This has never made any sense to me.



"That women's daughter is only trying to make a living just like everyone else in this world."

Yes, you're right, she's only trying to make a living. I never said otherwise did I. The thing is, is that most docs make way more than "a living". My family and I also would like to be able to make "a living", but with the med system in this country the way it is, that is an impossibility for anyone with any health issues.



"It is not that doctors fault that you have a disease that requires a lot of medical care."

Oh geez, I don't recall ever once blaming any doctors for causing my Crohn's disease, but then again my memory's pretty crappy these days, maybe I did! What I do know for sure, is that it definitely wasn't said in that post!!



"I don't think you were justified in saying anything but, that is just my opinion."

...and you're entitled to it, just don't ever put it on my blog again without a link back to you.



"You seem to feel you are knowledgeable in most all areas of life but I don't think you have all the facts on this one."

I don't even quite know how to respond to being called what basically boils to down being "a know-it-all" which I'm sure totally surprises anonymous since they apparently think that I think I know everything. And once again, what "facts" do you speak of! I was just repeating a conversation I had!!



"Just because you are upset that you have medical bills don't take it out on other people."

Okay, I won't take it out on other people. I wasn't taking my medical bills out on someone else. I was simply stating that the money that is charged for someone to have care to stay healthy (which in every part of the world should be a right, not a privilege IF you have the money or insurance to pay for it) in this country has gotten totally out of hand. Trust me when I say all of feelings about this issue are more for others than for myself. Yes, we owe ALOT of money. Total, we owed around $90,000. Right now it's about $51,000. We pay docs before anyone and anything else most months. BUT, there are many, many people in this country that owe more than we do, and unlike myself who now has good insurance, have no chance at getting insurance and will end up in bankruptcy. Unfortunately many of those same people without insurance are those that make just enough money that they don't qualify for any help at all like we did last year when I had no insurance.






So, in closing, it makes me so sad and angry that there are people in this country that apparently feel no responsibility to hold up someone who is in a very hurtful and seemingly hopeless situation. The fact that someone could possibly invade MY blog anonymously, and make me feel that I have no right to be frustrated with the medical community after what I've been through show's me that we as people have a ways to go in teaching other's what compassion means.

The more I think about it, I actually feel sorry for anonymous because they obviously have no compassion.

9 comments:

ANGELA VAUGHN said...

well, it wasnt me cause i totally agree with you! lol! weve never really been swamped in med bills and we do have excellent ins but the docs are the last to get my money. they will have to accept my $10 a month cause they way i see it with 3 kids and our luck...we will always have doc bills!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you have someone who likes to say nasty stuff, but isn't big enough to put a name to their post. Pretty pathetic, in my opinion!

B

Di said...

There are huge issues with Medical billing. My mom was recently hospitalized and on her bill I actually read this line:

Toothbrush...............$19.00
Toothpaste...............$11.00
Hairbrush................$26.50

Are you kidding me? She was in ICU hardly in need of any of these items. Who exactly is getting rich here???(and where in the name of all things Holy do these people shop?)

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Dad. Just so you know up front.

I want you to know how proud Mom & I are of you and Smart Guy. We know how hard it can be sometimes.

And I'm especially proud of you for standing up to the coward that bitched about you stating the facts.

One more thing you should have thrown at them is what I've been saying for years: Health care in this country went to pot when it became a business. I'll never forget the first time I heard it said that way. I was in a meeting with a hospital executive. He smiled and said "Business is good." Which meant people were sick and dying. If the medical community was doing it's job, we wouldn't need hospitals.

Anonymous, you're a moron.

There. I feel better.

Just to be clear, I AM GRACE's DAD!

Anonymous said...

Hey My Beloved Gracie...I diddo EVERYTHING that your dad said...we know what you've been through and I also want to say that I work in the medical world and I see how many of the Docs live...and believe me they don't live on small incomes...most of them live in quarter million dollar of more homes and drive 50 or 60 thousand dollar cars usually owning more than one...so no matter what they get when insurance gets done...they are not part of the 30 to 50 thousand dollar income braket who they profit from and yes they profit...and yes I know it's not just the docs...but I tell it's really hard to listen to them or their families whine when many folks are paying 800 to a thousand and more dollars a month to be able to have medical care...The fact is the medical community is broken and all involved must hold some of that responsibility... including the docs...
Love you and respect you so much...
Mom

Kristy said...

Is this the same person who was talking smack about the curtains? @@ Coward.

STEPH said...

Hey stacey and it wasn't me.. We have major medical bills because of my little faith.. I totally agree with all you said..
I am sorry that whoever is saying this a spineless uninformed coward!! If someone is going to say something like that they should have the backbone to at least leave their name.
DISGUSTING!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hello. It is lovely to read all these supportive messages for you. Despite the fact that you have had to put up with the hurtful comment of the " nasty anonymous" - when it comes down to it you are obviously well loved and respected. And its the views of those people that count, not of people who cannot say things to your face or who don't consider the effects their words will have. Good luck to you and yours in the future. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Have you done something that could have upset someone about something else entirely? Whoever anonymous is, they seem totally off subject with their harping on the "facts" issue, and I don't ever recall feeling like you "seem to feel that you know everything" or however they put it. Some people just can't stand it when someone else has a strong opinion on something they don't agree with.