Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What We Ate

The first evening we were down there, we ate at Bubba Gumps. The signs on the table were there to let the servers know if everything was okay (Run, Forest, Run), or if we flipped to the red sign underneath, they knew to stop and check in with us.



The shirt and braces that young Forest wore in the movie.



My already eaten plate of fried shrimp and fries. I thought the Greenbow, AL newspaper was a cool touch. (that's where the movie took place)


Smart Guy drinking a beer. He looks bombed in the picture, actually he'd been awake for over 36 hours by the time of this was taken, so he's just exhausted.


Yet, another picture of my husband and a beer. This was a The Crescent City Brewhouse.


My shrimp po'boy... yum, it was so good! The mound that looks like mashed potatoes is actually potatoe salad. It was a little wierd.


Smart Guy's alligator sausage, sauerkeraut, and potato salad.



Friday night we met up with a youth ministry exchange formunite that happens to live down there, and had dinner at Pat O'Briens on Bourbon Street. These are alligator bites and honey mustard sauce. They were actually quite tasty... although very chewy.


Bread Pudding at Pat O'Briens. Wow, I'll be dreaming about that stuff for along time. Next time we go back to New Orleans, this will definitely be one of the first things we get!


Our last day, we went to The Red Fish Grill. This is a 1/2 eaten shrimp and bacon club sandwich! Another amazing meal!



This is Cafe Du Monde. The original coffee house. It's been in business is since the 1930s if I remember correctly. Pretty much the only thing they sell is coffee, milk, juice, and beignets.


One of their world famous beignets.


Smart Guy enjoying his beignets.



This is the inside of the bag. There was probably 2 cups of powdered sugar left over in the bottom of the bag when we were finished.


Ruby told me to eat a beignet for her at Cafe Du Monde, so Ruby, this bite was for you.



This is looking down thru the top of our wire-top table to the ground. I was covered with powdered sugar. It was everywhere. Of course some of what's on the ground was already there. They must hose that place down every single night with as much sugar as there was on the ground everywhere.




We ate really well while we were down there. I had shrimp at almost every meal. Yum! The ELCA (The Evangelical Lutheran Churches of America) also put on a spread for us twice in our hotel with several "New Orleans" type foods... mufelattas, jambalya, creole meat pies, cajun glazed ham, and a few others. Most of it was way too hot for my wimpy taste buds, but Smart Guy loved it.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Everything looks so good. Making me hungry!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! Everything looks amazing! I'm glad you both arrived there and home safely (I prayed), and that you had such a good time!!

B

ANGELA VAUGHN said...

Ive always wanted to eat at Bubba gumps but I dont like seafood so...that bread pudding looks delish...I dont think I couldve tried the alligator!

zann said...

wow, I've missed a lot and am just now catching up. Looks like a very Tastey Trip to the big easy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking of me...I am now drooling over the photos!

Ruby!