Monday, January 7, 2008

The Bringing of The Light

Well, the Christmas season is officially closed. Yesterday was Epiphany or as my kids like to call it "the twelth day of Christmas", or as I personally like to call it "The Bringing of the Light". This holiday marks the day that the wise men came to the Jesus' house with gifts. Last night, before bedtime, we all went outside and wrote "20 CMB 08" over the door most commonly used in our frequent comings and goings around here during our "Chalk Blessing Ceremony". This stands for "Christus Mansionem Benedicat", which means "May Christ bless this dwelling!" In some cases it is used to respresent the names of the three wise men most traditionally recognized as the ones who came to visit Jesus (we actually have no idea how many there were), these being Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar.

So, today is the day of taking down the Christmas decorations and returning to a "normal" life without the colored lights and reminders of how important the Christmas season is in our lives. It is a time when we have to bring the bright lights into our world by taking care of the community and world in which we live. We are to always shine our lights as the Christmas tree does on the day we celebrate our Saviour's birth.

I would like to offer up a challenge to all who may read this in this new 2008... Love your community. Love the people who live in your town. Love the people who live on your street. Love the people who live in the house next to you. Show them you love them. Seek out those who need your love and love them. Do for them. Take meals to someone who needs it. Pick someone up who needs a ride. Pass your hand-me-downs to someone who actually needs them instead of family or friends who could technically afford their own or taking them somewhere that pays you for them. Help someone put their groceries in their car. Get your hands dirty. Take your kids with you. What a better way to teach them to love others than for them to see you loving others. Please don't use your little ones as a reason not to reach out and love. They can be the hands and feet of our Saviour just as much as we can if we guide them in that direction. Pray for them...and then act on those prayers. Please don't get stuck in complacency and assume that someone else will do it, or that someday you'll have the time or energy. Do it now. People need to be loved, NOW!

Bring The Light into our world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a very touching blog!! I loved the challenge, and plan on putting the challenge in to action. Thank you for actually making me think about things I could be doing. I donate clothes, etc, but I just don't think of doing things for my neighbors. How nice would it be to bake them cookies, and write a note to them simply saying "God Bless You"!! You've inspired me once again; which is why I love frequenting your blog!!!

BK 1023 (even though I deleted my blog)

P.S. Please use the email address I gave you, and email me. I'd really love to hear from you again :)