Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Week in Review

Hey everyone! Thought I'd actually post and give everyone an update on our lives... if you really care!!! Bee is doing great with her brace. Right now she's wearing it about 14 hours a day on average. She's supposed to wear it for 16 hours a day, so sometime in the next week or so we'll work up to that. As long as she wears it all night long, she gets in 12 hours without a problem. I personally wouldn't be adjusting to sleeping in that hard thing as well as she has. We're really proud of her!!

Last Friday we had to go to Cleveland for me to have a TB test and an upper GI. Fun, fun, fun!


All three kids had their first soccer games last Saturday. Bee's game was at 8:45 am and it was about 40 degrees and windy. We froze big time sitting on the sidelines watching. We were layered up and covered with blankets. If you've never seen a bunch of 4 and 5 year old girls play soccer, you really must treat yourself sometime. It's hilarious!! They look like a flock of birds, all going one direction and then suddenly turning and going the other! Ten minutes into the game, the coach realized that the teams were totally not matched equally. So she stopped the game and changed everyone's jersey's around and then started the game back up. At one point in the game, she stopped both the little girls games, put them all in a line and gave them some coaching, and then let them loose to their games again. If we hadn't been freezing our bahoonies off, it would have been fun.

The boys had their team pictures taken at 2:45 and then a double header at 3:30 and 4:30! In third grade the kids have a little more control of the ball and have the concept of forwards and defenders and such! There was a time when D.K. was laughing so hard at something that had happened that he forgot what he was supposed to be doing and messed up! Oh well, he was having fun and that's all that matters!!!

Last Friday afternoon sometime I started having pain again reminiscent of last March, although nowhere near as intense. I decided to wait thru the weekend to see if it got any better before I called the doc. It didn't and I discovered another abscess, so I called Monday morning. The had me go in Tuesday afternoon for an appointment with my surgeon, and now on Friday I'm going back in for surgery. It's minor, I'll be in and out in less than six hours. When they did the same thing back in July, I was out shopping the very next day, so the recovery is fairly short. The biggest thing I have to fight thru is getting my energy back.

Bee had her first day at her new preschool on Monday. Her and I went over to a new friends house for a playdate last Thursday, so she knew someone in her class already. They were waiting for us when we got there so the girls could walk into class together.

Yesterday I was home most of the day doing laundry and resting. Last night we dropped Bee and D.K. off at a friends house for the night so we could leave home at 5 am this morning to head to Cleveland (again) for Prophet's MRI so we can figure out what's causing his headaches. After we dropped them off, we headed to Coldstone's with just Prophet and treated him to ice cream! He's so funny when he gets us all to himself. He seems so much more grown-up to me. This morning we were out the door by 5:05 am and pulled into the parking lot at 6:15, 1/2 hour early, so we put our seats back and rested for a while before we went in. After talking with the dr. and nurses about his MRI, they gave him "giggle gas" to put him to sleep. Yes, it made him giggle. It also made him flirt with the nurse a little bit. It was cute. They put his IV in after he was asleep, and gave him meds to keep him asleep throughout the MRI thru his IV. After it was done, and he was off the meds, it took him about 45 minutes to wake up. He drank some juice, got his IV out, and they let us come home. He had a hard time walking at first, so we had to wheel him out in a wheelchair. Last time, he was sedated for an MRI he was little so we still pushed him around in the stroller and carried him. He's slightly too big to do that now! He's been talking about going to Taco Bell on the way home from the hospital since last week, so we stopped and treated him. We had to keep hold of him while he was walking around, because he couldn't walk a straight line to save his life. At this point, he's fine and running around the neighbors backyard playing.

We leave at 4:30 in the morning for Cleveland (yes, again) for my surgery. We should be home shortly after noon. I'm the first one on the schedule! Yuck! That's too early!! Everything should go smoothly!!

Well, Bee has been screaming "You treat me like a baby," while laying on the floor behind me for about five minutes! She's angry because I won't let her go outside to play in the neighbors yard while I make dinner. I don't like her out there when I can't watch her closely! I've got to go make dinner, pork chops, mashed taters, and veggies.... then we'll eat it at 8 tonight after soccer practice, a pto meeting, an upward basketball coaches meeting, and an evangelism meeting at church to discuss the "trunk or treat" that I'm in charge of next month have all been attended! Then we'll be dropping the short people over at friends house for the night, and she'll take everyone to school tomorrow!

We are seriously considering switching our main family meal of the day to breakfast starting next week. Our evenings are so crazy right now, and they will be until the end of the year, and we refuse to let it interupt us sitting around the table as a family to eat! If anyone has any ideas for yummy, healthy, unique breakfast food, let me know. I've come up with about 14 things, but 1/2 of them contain eggs. I may have to get creative and serve my children broccolli for breakfast. I'm sure Smart Guy would appreciate that!!

Toodles!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything's going well. I understand the craziness... we're the same way. I'll be praying for you tomorrow that surgery goes well. Hope to hear from you soon!! :)

BK1023

Anonymous said...

yes I do give a toot/dang/rip/care about you and I am so glad to see you posted again. You're in my prayers, and I love ya.

Lauren said...

Yeay! A graceful post!!!! Sounds like life is busy, but good overall. Praying for all the health issues to work out, and that your pain goes away.

Inkling said...

Breakfast ideas your kiddos will like......

Ham & Veggie Fritatta ~ yes it does have eggs, but we love it any time of day. Even my pickier than anyone nephews approved. Hallelujah. If you want the recipe, I'll share it.

Homemade crepes with whatever filling you can dream up ~ we usually make a spinach-artichoke dip to go inside, and then make a dessert one with banana, lemon juice, and raw sugar with the last two crepes. I've got a good and easy recipe for crepes if you want it.

And then why not do something like ham and potatoes, or the usual dinner fare? Then you could just do traditional breakfast foods for suppertime, essentially turning the traditional meal plan upside down. I don't see the harm in it.

Finally, you could always serve rice krispie treats afterward. Because, as we all know, it actually is a cereal. At least, that's what I told myself today when I ate three of them for breakfast. Yes, I know. I have compulsive issues when there are sweets in the house. I forgot to send them with the boys yesterday. Someone has to eat them. =)