Friday, September 21, 2007

Very Sleepy

Well, I was up by 3:55 am this morning and out the door by 4:30! That time of day should be outlawed. An awesome "mom-type" woman showed up at our house at 4:20 or so to make our day much less stressful by taking care of everything where our kids were concerned. She got everyone up, made sure they were dressed, fed, hair-combed, teeth brushed, backpacks on, and walked to school. Then she took Bee to school at 12:30 and picked her up at 3. We made it back to town just in time for Smart Guy to walk over and meet the boys after school and then walk home with them. Nope, they have yet to walk to or from school alone, and it probably won't happen anytime soon, if ever!

The surgery went good. We arrived at the hospital around 5:45, got all signed in, put in a room to change into a stylin' hospital gown, peed in a cup to make sure I'm not pregnant before anestesia was allowed, and cried my way thru the four pokes it took to get an IV in my steroid-shot veins. If they would just listen to where I told them to poke me, it would have taken one stick and about 5 seconds, but nooooooooo that would mean I was in charge instead of them. After being poked as many times as I have in the past ten years, you'd think I'd know where to get the stick done quick wouldn't ya now! I vaguely remember them laughing at me in the OR when I was lying there trying to keep my eyes open for a few extra seconds after they put the stuff in to knock me out. They wanted to know why I wasn't just letting myself go to sleep immediately. My response? "These last few seconds before I have no control over sleeping is the best I've felt for weeks, I'm gonna enjoy it!" Am I a sleep junkie or what?

So, now I'm due for another dose of pain pills and Benadryl. That's why I'm typing this now, an hour ago, I was still totally out of it from the previous doses, and in about a 1/2 hour, I'll be gone again. I usually give myself about 48 hours of around the clock pain pills and Benadryl before I start trying to function without them. The Benadryl, for those wondering is for two things, my allergies, and also because whenever I have anastesia, my entire body itches for about two days until it's all out of my system! Even with Benadryl, I constantly scratching. Apparently this is a very common reaction, but it wasn't until after my surgery in July, the fifth of the seven I have now had in my life, that someone bothered to tell me that the itching was all a part of the anestesia. I just always thought it was from the dry air in the hospital. Who knew?

So, back to bed! Later taters!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are home, safe and sound, surrounded by loved ones. I thought of you and said prayers often today.

Get some rest..Plenty of rest..

Hugs

FarmWife said...

I'm so glad everything went well & you have good folks around who are willing to help out. What a blessing!

I itched like I had fleas after Bitsy was born. They said it was from the spinal. But my itching was localized...under my nose, my right, lower eyelid, my back, my neck...it was freaky. They put something in my IV for it & I was fine on the second day.

Dreaming again said...

I'm glad you're ok.

You are in my prayers.

I hate the reaction to surgery/post surgery etc ...and getting them to listen to me in pre op ... it's like they have cotton in their ears or something.

That last few minutes after the pre op before sleep ... I HATE that feeling~~ icky~~~

Lauren said...

Glad you are home. Get lots of rest; stay doped up if you must to do it, and then may you not have to go through this again.