Monday, April 30, 2007

For Crying Out Loud

Okay, so I was back over reading recent "signatures" on the Mom's for Modesty campaign, and I found this. I really need to just stop reading them because while most of the comments are simply saying they agree, the ones that show judgement on other people are the ones that always stick out to me. Unfortunately this women just signed with her name, so I can't get to a blog of hers or anything. Read this, especially the last line...

"Thanks for starting the brushfire. I have 2 girls, and we’ve been raising them with God’s standards from the beginning. I’ll never forget when my oldest commented that a 2-peice bikini was “immodest” and that she would never wear it - when she was 3! We can make a difference when we properly educate others, including the retailers of the current pedaphile-pleasing junk passed off as clothing. Too bad my girl’s friend up the road has come under the culture’s influence, but then again, she’s not homeschooled."

Come on. Yep, that's it guys, apparently if we don't homeschool our children, we have no influence upon their lives at all. Give me a break. I have nothing against homeschooling, we have/are considering for own family, but I can promise that I would never have that judgemental thing going on or think myself better for doing it. Once again it saddens me to hear this kind of thing said.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

The sermon we watched last night was on Colossians 3, and the pastor spoke about how early Christians were set apart from the surrounding culture because of how well they loved eachother (and non-Christians). Unfortunately, I don't think we can say the same for the church in general.

School is just one aspect of our childrens' education. We may or may not choose to homeschool our kids some day. I originally chose my major with that possibility in mind. However, I have witnessed failures of parents who supposedly homeschool just as I observed "lost" (kids who were not doing well academically or socially, I'm not referring to their spiritual state) kids in the public schools without parental support.

I thank the Lord that He got my family out of the circle which would echo that Mom's statement.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I agree so wholeheartedly! (with you, not her!)

FarmWife said...

Unfortunately I am a non-homeschooled floozie. I own a 2 piece bathing suit and I am sure that it is a total lapse of morals on my part brought on by time spent in public school. Grant it, the top piece touches the bottom piece, but I may fry for it just the same.

Sorry for the rant. Can't help it sometimes.

Oh, and Princess was homeschooled & is a big fan of the bikini...much to QM's chagrin.

Caslon said...

Wow, talk about closed-minded! We all went to public schools, and I always felt it made us stronger Christians. We had to defend what we believed in on a daily basis. I'm not against home-schooling, but like Lauren said - it comes down to parental support. I think we should empower our children (and future children) to do right, no matter what situation they are in.

Lauren said...

I was tempted to buy Baby Bear a cute little bikini at target the other day. But then I reconsidered based on health reasons. I don't want that cute belly to get sunburned. Quite frankly, I almost let her run around naked in the sprinkler tonight. It was too much trouble to change her into her swimsuit when her clothes were coming off for bathtime anyway. She's a baby, for crying out loud. There's NOTHING sexual about letting a baby be natural, as some sects would try to believe. Now, if you are concerned that a pedophile may be lurking nearby, then it is in your child's best interest to be naked, I suppose.

This is coming from the girl whose parents have a pic her younger sister and cousin sitting in the kiddie pool in the front yard buck naked (or maybe it was half, but it was at least topless.) They were 2 -3 years old. I wonder what ever happened to that pic?

Anonymous said...

Dangflabbit..I'm just a non-homeschooled uneducated mom.

Sweet nibblets what is this world coming to!!

crt said...

she would have hated mad's invisible bathing suit. she wore it yesterday after her cinderella suit got wet. she streaked across several yards on several occasions yesterday in her winter white, haven't seen the sun since last summer's streaking birthday suit.

btw, i do check occasionally to see who is might be lurking in our neighborhood since both children prefer God's original plan. i like familywatchdog.us/ShowMap.asp
it maps out your community based on your address and shows whose living where, where they work, and what they were convicted of.