Thursday, April 26, 2007

THIS POST WILL BE TOO MUCH INFORMATION, SO IF YOU'RE A LIGHTWEIGHT, STOP READING NOW

*I just hit publish on this post this morning, Sunday, but I've started it several days ago.

The sky looks like it's gonna open-up any second now. They're saying we could get wind, thunder, lightening, rain, and hail. I can the thunder and it's starting to sprinkle as I'm typing. I love a good storm.

Well, I've been wanting to share with you guys some of the specifics of what's actually going on with my crohns right now. I know you know I've had surgery twice and that I'm out of remission, but other than a couple of you that I've told personally that's really all you know, so here it is...

I have what is called a perirectal abscess. Which means it is located internally between my rectum and my vagina. Because of the infection, these can be fatal if not taken care of proper time or properly. Thankfully I got into surgery in time both times. Here's hoping there won't be another one.

Basically the first time they did the surgery, they drained both sides of the abscess and left long drain tubes in overnight. They removed them the next morning, which was the most incredible pain I've ever felt. The abscess continued draining slightly thru the holes that were cut for the drain tubes. The pain got much better as it drained. I could feel externally that the abscess was shrinking and appeared from the touch to be about the size of the tip of my pinky finger.

Then last Thursday morning when I got up, the pain was back. It was still draining, but not as much and the abscess was externally hot, hard, and tripled in size from the day before. I called the dr. and they said to keep and eye on it, make sure it was still draining, take lots of baths, and watch for a fever. That evening I started running a fever. I called first thing the next morning and they had me come back in. After they examined me, they told me to head back over to the hospital because they were going to redo the surgery, but leave the drains in long-term this time. When he did the second surgery, he also put "C-tons" in place this time. C-tons are basically black strings that are place into my rectum, passed thru the abscess, down thru the same opening as the drains, and then the ends are tied together forming a loop. I have a drain and a c-ton on each side.

Here's the part I need specific prayers for. I know I should have gotten this out days ago, but it's just hard to write about. Four to five times a day, I have to take a sitz bath and then "floss" the c-tons. For those of you who already have a visual, yep it's that bad. Basically I have to pull those loops from each end to prevent build-up from forming in the abscess again. It's not fun and it really hurts. There's a reason that God made us so we don't want to inflict pain upon ourselves. It's very hard for me to push past that and actually do something that I know is going to hurt. Tomorrow the dr. will take out the drains, so I'm hoping that maybe the c-tons won't be so difficult to move since they won't be sharing space with something else.

Please pray, I know you are, that I have patience with all of this. I feel like all I'm doing is taking baths and "flossing". What a life!

Anyway, thanks for being there for me and praying! I love you guys! Sorry if this was TMI, but I warned ya didn't I!

11 comments:

zann said...

Wow. Well that totally sucks.
Definately keeping you in our prayers. Is this flossing business a permanent thing that you will always have to do? Will the pain lessen with time? Sorry I'm a little naive on things such as this.

crt said...

ditto on the "totally sucks" comment. being a visual person, i must say you painted quite a picture. praying for you.

Lauren said...

It's not any better reading it than it was hearing about it. But it does help us to pray specifically.

Anonymous said...

Nothing is too much when friends can visualize what you are going through and hurt with you. Hang in there, Kiddo, and may God hear all of the prayers that are there for you. Love, nlt

Grace said...

Zann, no this won't be a permanent thing. Hopefully the c-tons will come out in about 3 more weeks... seems so far away.

Caslon said...

Wow, this sounds absolutely horrible. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I had no idea... it sounds so painful and invasive.

I will definitely be praying for you.

Nan said...

Prayers here too.

When I was younger and in grade school, some girls put strings in their pierced ears to keep the hole from closing up and had to pull it back and forth all the time. It had a knot on each end. For some reason that's what I thought of when I read this.

Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I don't care if it's email or phone call or blog, Please let me know how you are..

I am saying prayers like a mad woman.

Hugs to you and smart guy and kids.

FarmWife said...

Oh, Honey! I knew things were bad (talked to Inkling in the beginning of all this), but didn't realize just how bad. I am praying for you & for a serious solution (such as free/cheap meds). Try to take it easy & get a good book to read during those Sitz baths. I'll think of you when I take mine (although mine are for more pregnancy related problems).

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I don't believe in TMI where friends are concerned. =) So sorry you're suffering with all this, and equally glad you're not going through it alone. ~big hugs~

Farm Fairy & Bruno said...

okay I'm so sorry but I had to laugh while reading...no not cuz your in pain...but because of the way you put it...you are a crack up..All my prayers all my love your farm fairy xoxoxox...