Tuesday, April 24, 2007

This Is For Farmwife

This is a quote taken directly from Farmwife's recent post...

"Once upon a time I was one of the weirdos at a little Bible college in central Illinois. By weirdos I mean I was not preppy. I did not have big hair. I did not listen obsessively to DC Talk and Audio Adrenaline. I was not an early childhood major. I was not there in search of my M.R.S. degree. I was not your typical girly girl. I was a little strange by LCC standards. I liked alternative music (Pearl Jam, The Cure, The Pixies, Violent Femmes, Jane's Addiction, They Might Be Giants). I wore Doc Martins & had a hippy/skater/bohemian/goth (before we ever called it "goth") thing going on. I had long straight hair that I wore in odd ways (pigtails, braids, top knots). I wore dark lipstick. I was not really at home among the preachers' kids who seemed destined for ministry. After orientation I wasn't sure I belonged there at all. The only friends I really had were Swiss Miss and Grace's little brother."

I just have to mention that while I was at that same Bible college I was probably considered a preppy. I had brown hair all one length down to my waist and it was regulary rolled in hot rollers to make it prissy. My Smart Guy lived on the same floor as Audioadrenaline when they all attented Kentucky Christian College together in the early nineties and I attended an entire Audio Adrenaline concert at our little bible college back in the days before the were really big news. I was an Early Childhood major and pretty much attended said college to obtain my M.R.S. to a minister of some kind. Oh yah, did I mention that I obtained my M.R.S. just 18 months later. And while I wasn't crazy enough to jump off of a bridge, I was known to swim in the "Jordan River" when the drains in front of the girls dorm backed up and turned into a pool. And I was known to make-out with Smart Guy in the prayer room of the chapel, until I convinced myself that they probably had a spy camera somewhere in there watching everything. Other make-out spots.... behind restoration hall, cement bridge in middle of field between campus and married student housing and tennis courts next to girls' dorm ( the last two were invisible after dark). I was also know to have waded in the creek at the park on the edge of town with a group of friends up to our armpits, and one of the guys ended up with a slug where he didn't want it.

Yep, those were the days!

5 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You rebel you!

FarmWife said...

Those were the days!! I missed out on a lot of that, but I was only there one year and never really dated anyone. I did have one memorable Monday night Devo's date...ugh! :)

Lauren said...

crt and you guys could swap "conservative college" stories.

Inkling said...

Don't forget the dugout, though behind Restoration Hall was my favorite. Seems to me you guys steamed up Smart Guy's car windows in the parking lot behind Titus a few times too. Not that we were watching....

And you were an adorable preppy M.R.S. seeker. You still are....even though you cut off your hair. We love you anyway.

Anonymous said...

Makeout sessions, and tonsil hockey..Hmmm..That's what I missed by not going to college away from home.