Thursday, August 2, 2007

Redeeming Moments


Do you ever have those days when you feel like all the work you do to instill goodness in your children seems for naught? Been there! Today, however, is not one of those days.

Prophet and Smart Guy are at a Cleveland Indians game (actually they are currenting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in a horrible thunderstorm just outside Jacob's Field in downtown Cleveland after the game), so I only have D.K. and Bee. I needed to make an Aldi's run to grab a few things, so off we went. When we got to Aldi's I had to get in the back of the van to get the canvas bags that I use instead of those nasty plastic or paper things that go to waste and my cooler bag for the cold stuff. Just as I reached up to grab the handle to pull the door down to close it, D.K. says "Mommy, let me get that for you." I said, "Can you do that, D.K. it's really heavy?" He says "Yah, let me show you." He did it and I of course poured out the expected pride, surpirise, and gratitude.

Then we get our cart. He says "Let me push today, Mommy." So he pushed the cart with his little sister in the seat all thru the store. Now I must say that his driving skills do lack a certain something that enables one not get oneself beat-up in a grocery store, but with an undetected hand on the end of the cart, we got thru it with him feeling very grown-up.

Then we got home. I turned off the car while conversing with D.K. and Bee, got out, opened Bee's side of the van, unbuckled her carseat for her, and then looked up to see that my guy was standing at the back door of the van waiting to help me bring in the groceries without an utterance from myself to do so. We unloaded the back together and chatted on with our conversation the entire time.

Dang-freakin-it! He's growin'-up to fast! But if what I saw in him today (and see more and more each day) is any indication of the kind of man he's gonna turn out to be, more power to him. The world can use more men like the kind that I'm striving to turn my boys into! BUT SURELY the world can wait a few more years while I soak-up the joy my two "little" guys bring into my life each day!!

No comments: