Sunday, February 18, 2007

Our Weekend

Hello friends!! How's your weekend been? Pretty good here!! We were supposed to go over to Mom and Dad's yesterday, but instead we stayed home and watched it snow until about 3 in the afternoon. When we got up yesterday morning everything was covered with the white stuff, again. Prophet had a basketball game at 9:00 downtown, but we weren't sure if they were having it or if we should even try to get there as the roads in our subdivision looked rather treacherous. We waited until 8:15 and called the center to see if we were still on for the game and we were. So we all piled into the van and very slowly made our way into downtown. The roads weren't in great shape, but we got there in one piece and Prophet was the first one from his team or the other team to get there. He shot hoops for awhile and by 9:00 his team had four and the other team had 6. Each team usually has about 10 kids. They started the game playing four-on-four. The beauty of youth basketball is that it's flexible and if there aren't enough kids to play five on each, they change the rules. About 4 minutes into the first quarter, Prophet's coach finally walked in with his two kids who are on the team. At that point they began playing five-on-five and Prophet never did get swapped out of the game. They ended up winning their first game, even though it didn't look good in the beginning. The score ended up being 22-10. Prophet of course hit the floor many, many times in true Prophet-form. I don't know how he comes up smiling when he hits as hard as he does.

By them time the game was over and we headed home we knew there was no way we were driving to IL. We have to drive thru open rural areas to get there and the wind was supposed to pick up and start drifting. Bee wasn't very happy, because she wanted to open her birthday present from Grannie and Pa, but she still got to open our presents to her. (she got a cake on her birthday , but we couldn't get out of our subdivision from Monday until Thursday morning, so I couldn't buy her present) I had wrapped them on Friday before I went to bed and hid them so she wouldn't find them. I told her that I couldn't remember where I hid them, so she went on a crazy-present-hunt trying to find them. It was funny and she was so excited when she finally "found" them. She got a bunch of new art supplies to go with the new easel she'll be getting from Grannie and Pa when we go over there tomorrow after school. She's a crafty little nut and loves to color, draw, glue, cut, paint... you name it, if it can make a mess, she loves it. I found these really cool markers with no lids from Crayola. They twist up so there's nothing to lose, although they do still have to be twisted shut again.... I already found one not closed. I also bought her twist-up crayons with erasers. No, they are not necesarry, but they sure are cool and they are a birthday present after all.

I'm at church right now. I never left after services this morning. The thought of piling all three kids back into the car to go home by myself for less than two hours was more than I could stand. So, I stayed here and started cooking for tonight's dinner for the teenagers. We are having southwestern pot pie, salad, and twice baked cake. The cake is in it's "twice baked" stage as I type getting gooey and yummy covered with sweetened condensed milk. Bake a yellow cake mix, take it out and poke it with a fork about a 1000 times (approx. lol), pour on a can of SCM, sprinkle with a layer of cocnut, pour on another can of SCM and bake for another 15 minutes or so until the coconut is toasted. Let cool and cover with cool-whip. I haven't made this for about 18 months and I'm looking forward to it tonight. I'm not eating much sugar right now, but I'm gonna indulge in a small piece tonight!!

Well, duty calls, I must get back to work!! I love you guys!! Later!!

4 comments:

FarmWife said...

Yummy! I wonder if I can make it in time for cake tonight...

Anonymous said...

drive safe tonight. hugs to miss bee. enjoy your dinner/cake.

Lauren said...

yum... I dont remember any of my youth group leaders cooking like that for us... especially not weekly!!! Wow!

Caslon said...

I'm glad Bee liked her presents. I used to love anything art oriented as a child as well, and still do. I bought a new pallet knife yesterday at Hobby Lobby - very excited!

The cake sounds good too!!!