Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Snow and Scalloped Chicken

When I got up this morning to head for my routine trip to the potty at 7 AM I happened to pull the blinds apart and look outside. I knew immediately that we would have a delay so upon finishing my morning business I turned on the television before waking anyone else up. Sure enough we were on a delay, along with many other schools from across our area. The fog was horrible this morning. I couldn't even see to the end of my driveway. It was really wierd. On top of that, all the snow that has melted the last three days with the 40 something degree weather refroze during last nights 21 degree low making our world a huge ice rink. The fog didn't completely left until after 11:00 this morning. There was no way they could have responsibly gone to school first thing this morning as visibility was awful and some of those kids get on the buses before 7 'o clock. So we had a very slow-morning getting ready and eating breakfast. It was nice. I like having my boys around for a little longer in the morning. There are so many days that it seems I don't hardly get to see them between the 3:30 school dismissal, homework, playing outside, church, supper, etc.

Right now the boys are out in our front yard with a bunch of the neighborhood kids playing in the snow. It's perfect....45 degrees and tons of snow. Yes, even after 3 days of 40 + weather, we still have "tons" of snow on the ground. We still have at least 3 feet of it in our front yard because it's one big drift. Their are places in the backyard where the grass is showing thru, but there's also another 3 foot drift still back there. The kids out front were all throwing snowballs back and forth across the street, but now they've all migrated to our yard to dig a tunnel thru one of the 4 1/2 foot piles of shoveled snow on either side of the end of our driveway. Prophet just came in for a dry pair of gloves and threw his wet ones in with the laundry going in the dryer. I hope D.K. doesn't come in for a pair, the only other pair I have is pink and he has issues with pink.

Well, my dinner of scalloped chicken baking in the oven was smelling really good... until I got on to blog. I also had a pan of cream-corn going on the stove top on low. My blogging brain was registering somewhere way-way back in the depths of my thoughts that something smelled funny, but it was until Bee said "oooohhhh, Mommy what's that bad smell", that my senses came back to me and I realized that the corn was no longer edible. It's so burnt that the pan may never be useable again. It's sitting in the sink soaking at the moment, but it doesn't look good. Didn't someone burn something on awhile back and ask for a trick to get it off. I can't remember who it was, but it seems like someone suggested baking soda. Is that right? It's really bad, I mean rreeaallyy bad smelling in here right now. I opened one window in the front of the house and one in the back hoping to air out the smell. When Prophet came in to get the dry gloves he immediately gagged and said something about the smell. I guess blogging, cooking dinner, and enjoying watching my kids playing outside the window next to me at the same time is too much for this non-multitasker
to handle. So now my Grandma Nativity's scalloped chicken will be accompanied by something other than cream-corn.... broccolli maybe? Hmmm, just not the same.

This is not an official Grandma scalloped chicken recipe because there isn't one. She never had one and never (to my and anyone else's knowledge) wrote it down. I did watch her make it several times, so I think I've got it right. We'll see when we taste. I keep wanting to call her and tell her that I'm making it or ask her how she does it, like I used to do when I was making something she made. There are times that I really miss her. She was a good grandma. She liked to cook and was good at it. Her house always smelled like something cooking. I've never attempted to make her scalloped chicken before, but I've been craving it lately so I thougt I'd give it a try. (No the word crave doesn't mean a pregnancy possibility, smack yourself if the thought went thru you little brains, Turkeys. Shame on you.)

Well, it's time to call the boys in for dinner. I've gotta go throw some kind of veggie in the microwave real quick!! Have a good evening!! Hugs to all!!

6 comments:

Inkling said...

Ah, now Best Friend, I know you aren't really into smacking us around. Why don't you just put us on time out? Because you know, that craving COULD be a pregnancy craving. Or it could be a craving to get you thinking about being pregnant. Or it could be a craving to get you thinking about your Best Friend getting pregnant.....but NOT before her permanent residency gets here, no sirree. Do you ever wonder if Bee needs a sister? Hmm....just wondering. Maybe I should have your mom babysit so you can Smart Guy could get a little one on one. =)

Okay, I'll be good and sit on time out until you tell me the timer has gone off. love you!

FarmWife said...

Oh, Inkling! You are going to get in so much trouble talking like that! Grace, send her to her virtual room! :)

We have no snow...none. It all melted on Monday...very quickly.

I was the one with burnt on cheese in a pan. Seriously, massively, disgustingly burnt on cheese. The smell was enough to gag me. I put about 1/4 Cup of Baking Soda in the pan & about an inch of water, and left it for at least 4 days. Sounds gross, but it saved the pan. That and an SOS pan for the little bit left over.

Caslon said...

I've had good luck with putting water and detergent in the pan and putting it back on the burner to boil. Something about the heat releases what ever is sticking to it.

zann said...

It was me who burnt cabbage! And I do indeed believe someone mentioned baking soda as the solution. I personally had good luck with a scouring pad, lots of pre-soaking in hot water, palm olive and baking soda to kill the smell. I think I also heard that vinegar would help.

LOL, of course now that I wrote that I see Farmwife is also taking credit for the being the massively bad food burner :D Which one do you think is worse burnt cheese, burnt cabbage or burnt corn? :)

Lauren said...

you know, i was craving asparagus before i knew i was pregnant a couple of months ago... stranger things have happened, grace!

i know, i'm getting a virtual smack right now.

Grace said...

For the task of worst to clean up?... the award definitely goes to burnt cheese. For the offensive and extrememely foul smelling lingering in the air?.... the award goes to burnt cabbage.

Hey Lauren... smack!! Hee, Hee!