Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Welcome to ...."The Gapstander"

I have a new person to introduce to my blog family. She's from Alabama, so that fact alone means she can't be quite normal. She was one of our youth sponsors down there. That definitely tells you she's not normal. Her and I have shared many hotel rooms... sometimes while at the Youth Specialties convention I attented back in Cincinatti (I missed her this year as she didn't get to go... so I called her during the David Crowder worship and held up my cell phone so she could worship with us, not knowing if she was actually on the other end because it was too loud on my end to hear) and sometimes while trying to keep a bunch of middle school girls in line while at church camp at Panama City Beach, FL. She always kept Smart Guy on his toes, calling him down when necessary. Actually she's not really southern. If I remember correctly, her dad is a military man and she moved several times growing up and just settled in the south to be a grown-up. I stood in the shower this morning and tried to think of a good pseudonym for her, then duh, I realized that she's calling herself Angie so I probably should too. While contemplating someones pseudonym though I always think about who that person is and what they mean to me personally. Thru this thought I came up with ... The Gapstander.

Some people are bystanders. They stand around letting life happen around them. They allow things to happen to the people around them and don't do anything about it. They watch the hurt of the people near them and in the world at large and always say they'd like to do something, but never actually do it. They are bystanders.

Angie is a gapstander. She stands in the gap for people. When someone isn't able to help themself, she stands in that gap and helps them. She helps them get back on their feet. She helps them see the truth. She helps them help themselves. One of her favorite things to do is to serve God by serving others. She stood in the gap for Smart Guy and myself on many occasions. When a small but loud group at the church down there decided they weren't happy with my Smart Guy, she stood in that gap (actually she dug a hole and planted herself in that gap) and never walked out of it. She was the firewall of protection that God put there for our ministry. I knew we were safe with Angie as our gapstander. She puts up with crap from no one and always points out the truth of the matter. When our finances came to such a spot that we were gonna have to do something drastic a few years ago, she again stood in the gap and made sure that our family was able to stay together. That particular gapstanding made it possible for us to get thru an incredibly hard time together and be where we are today... which is getting closer and closer to being out of debt each month. She's been out of the country to stand in the gap for others several times now. She always comes home already planning her next gapstand across the oceans.

The Christian artist Babbie Mason did a song back in the '90's called "Standing in the Gap". This song has always been my theme song for Angie, although she has no clue of that. I'm so thankful that she has been our gapstander. I tried to get the song on here, but couldn't do it, but here's the lyrics.

Standing in the Gap

I heard that you were hurting
That you were suffering pain
But I didn't dare just turn my head
And look the other way
For when your heart is aching
My heart is aching too
Let me help you bear your burden
That's the least that I can do

I'll be standing in the gap for you
Just remember someone, somewhere is praying for you
Calling out your name
Praying for your strength
I'll be standing in the gap for you

Right now you may be troubled
But everything will work out fine
For the Spirit knows before you speak
What is on your heart and mind
So I'll be interceding
'Til your standing strong again
The peace that passes understanding
Is going to be yours, but until then

I'll be standing in the gap for you
Just remember someone, somewhere is praying for you
Calling out your name
Praying for you strength
I'll be standing in the gap for you

So hang on my friend
It won't be long and you'll have your strength
To carry on
For when two or three are walking together
It will be a much lighter load
For isn't that what a brother and a sister are for

I'll be standing in the gap for you
Just remember someone, somewhere is praying for you
Calling out your name
Praying for your strength
I'll be standing in the gap for you


Now that Angie's soooooo totally embarassed and crying I'm sure.... I'll just wanna say go over and show her how wonderful it is to have a blogging family to talk to and pray with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading her blogs.

Lauren said...

Thank you, girls, for standing in the gap for me during this tough week. You are wonderful!

Grace said...

We wouldn't have it any other way, that's what we're here for babe!! We'll stand there as long as you need us to.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful lyrics. Would love to hear the music. We should all be so lucky as to have a gapstander in our life. Hang on to her.