Friday, March 9, 2007

Beware Any Self-Righteous Christians Out There... You Won't Like This Post

Many of you have surely seen the "Moms for Modesty" button in the sidebar of many blogs. I'm adding it to my sidebar also. I fully believe in what they stand for.
Moms for Modesty Mission Statement

* As a Mom for Modesty I believe in common-sense modesty for girls and young women.
* I believe in refraining from sexualizing our girls and young women.
* I believe that it is unwise and unfair to taunt boys and young men by permitting my daughter(s) to dress in an immodest manner.
* I believe that true beauty comes from within and I strive to teach my daughter(s) this truth.
* I will loyally shop at retailers that provide girls’ and young womens clothing that is modest, affordable and stylish.


To sign their petition, go here and leave a comment. They currently have 1206 comments left, me being the 1206th. As I read thru some of the comments left, I was angered by one of them, here it is...

"Thanks so much for taking this (needed) stand!!! We have a 13 yo daughter who is very modest. We’re so thankful for that. We also have two young boys (7, 4) and they’ve been taught what’s modest and what’s immodest. You wouldn’t believe (perhaps you will) what we saw at church yesterday. A teenaged girl wore a very tight & very short (bikini-like) shirt (showing her belly button and lots of skin). We don’t understand how her parents could allow her to dress like that (to church even!) When my husband saw this young girl walking into the church, he decided to take our 2 older kids to the park nearby to evangelize, instead. I took our youngest to the kids’ Sunday School class because I was a teacher’s helper.We were joking that perhaps we should hold up a huge sign in front of the church and maybe on the sidewalks with these words, "Please dress modestly! Thank you!" What do you think? :)www.homeschoolblogger.com/servingtheKingofkings/"

Comment by "A" September 4, 2006


What kind of vibe does everyone else out there get from this comment? Personally this comment made me quiver inside. I'm actually still shaking from the anger it caused in me. Why would anyone ever want to come to church knowing that "this" is who they could run into? Here's what my comment said when I also added my name to the "Mom's for Modesty" statement...

"I gladly add my name to your list. I’m the mama of one little girl and two young boys, and also the wife of a youth pastor. For thirteen years now I’ve watched as young girls have become increasingly less modest, even the ones in the church. I believe the church should be the one place where our young boys should not have to be tempted at all times. We have got to TEACH our young girls to love themselves enough to have respect for themselves. Unfortunately in todays society immodesty is just a part of life and JUDGING them doesn’t do any good. As Christians we have to assume that we are the only ones they may have to teach them to set the standards high for themselves and their friends. I feel sorry for young girls of mothers who don’t teach them otherwise, because there’s a large number of grown-ups that judge them by their appearance and assume they are little floozies and such, when in reality they’ve just never had anyone love them enough to show them anything different. Please don’t judge them, love them. The reason for the tone of this post comes from one of the posts back in September some time. It was very judgemental and is the exact reason many, many, many teenagers stay away from the church, which is precisely where they ought to be, but who wants to be there if they think they will be judged the second they walk thru the doors."

Comment by Grace — March 9, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets taken off the list, although the only people they told not to leave a comment were the people who didn't agree with them... well, I agree with them, I just don't agree with "A". I'm so sick of these perfect Christians these days who probably wouldn't know who Jesus was if he was standing 2 inches in front of their faces breathin' on 'em. Jesus loves everyone. Jesus invites everyone. Jesus forgives everyone. Jesus certainly would never stand on the street and tell anyone that they weren't allowed to talk to him if they were dressed a certain way. Where on earth do these people get this in their little heads? Well, anyway, I'm done now.

Let's all pray for "A". Personally for myself, the only way I can get over the anger I have for someone is by praying for them. Someone once told me "You can't hate someone that you're praying for". (not that I "hate" her, just frustrated with her line of thinking) Thanks Ruby, that advice has done me lots of good over the years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was leader for our a group of 8-11 year old girls for our church. I gave the girls 1 hour to create a Modesty Fashion Show.

I gave them tissue paper, newspaper, and tape. They had to pick a partner and design a Modest outfit. I brought a camera and invited the parents to come early and plan to stay for the fashion show. The girls had to model their fashions while their partner described their outfit.

The girls had so much fun and learned so much doing it.

Lauren said...

Grace,
I really don't think the sponsors of MFM would have a problem with your post.

When I was in Mexico, some of the teenage boys I worked with point-blank told me that I didn't seem American, I seemed normal, because I wasn't dressed like the "American women" they see on tv and in the movies. One precious 9 year old girl had a shirt that said "sexy" across it. I asked her if she knew what it meant. She said she thought it meant, "pretty." You're right, there are parents that don't teach their kids any better, so it's our job to teach them in love and model what is right.