Friday, March 2, 2007

So When Was The Last Time YOU Were Taken Out By TWO Good-Lookin' Guys At The Same Time?

For me personally, it was just a few hours ago. I picked up the boys from school and asked them if they wanted to go see "A Night At The Museum" and have dinner or go to the school carnival. They both agreed (miracle of all miracles) that they wanted to see the movie. I was so glad, not only that they agreed, but that they wanted to do something besides the carnival. If the truth be told, those things drive me nuts...a bunch of kids (and grown-ups) running the halls with all the normal school rules seemingly thrown out the window for the evening...games that cost a dollar a piece (some more)...pizza that costs $2.50 a slice.... and did I mention the unruly, very wound-up kids. I like my own kids... other people's kids... well let's just say that there's a reason I married a youth minister and not a children's minister. I love my friend's children, they're like family, but out in public most children make me crazy. I know, I'm horrible.

Anyway, I picked up the boys from school at 3:30, dropped Bee off with Mrs. Music and Dora (Mr. Music is with Smart Guy in AL, he's the music minister at our church), and headed to the movie theatre. We paid for our tickets and got in line for our bucket of extremely overpriced and very buttery popcorn, 1 Wonka bar, and a big Mountain Dew. We made our way to the our theatre, chose from any seat we wanted as there was only about 8 other people there at there at the time and sat down. I originally sat between them, but as soon as they finished their shared Wonka bar, they both dove into the popcorn bucket, that I wasn't eating from because I do not like popcorn, that was sitting in my lap and for about five minutes I sat there with two little hands coming at me from either side. I finally switched places with Prophet and gave him the bucket so they weren't both reaching in front of me. The movie was really good. There was only one "bad word" in it that I caught and while it could have easily been replaced with something much more kid-friendly, I admit that I did laugh when it was said. The boys were hilarious. They kept telling the characters what to do and what not to do in their regular voices for all to hear. D.K.'s favorite part was of course the T-rex skeleton that came to life every single night and chased one of his own rib bones around the museum like a dog. Prophet's favorite part was close to the end when two little 2-inch tall characters who originally hated each other were thought to be dead and then they suddenly showed up alive and being friends. We'll be getting that one on DVD when it comes out.

When we came out of the movie, we all had to use the restroom. Now, this poses a problem when your boys are the age of mine... too old to take into the ladies restroom with me, but still young enough that it makes me very nervous to let them go into the men's restroom by themselves. Thankfully there's two of them, that makes me feel better. They go in the same stall, play swords and come out together. I always tell them to scream if anyone touches or grabs them. The problem is that being boys they got in and out much quicker than myself who had to wait for about four other women in line in front of me. By the time I came out, I could hear my blond, little dates for the evening beating the tar out of each other, in the name of brotherly fun of course, out in the hallway. When I came out I realized they were acting out a battle scene from the movie. There was a grandma-type woman standing there watching them and giggling. She told us she'd already seen the movie once and that this time she brought her husband with her to see it. The boys told her they were on a date with me and I bragged about having a date with two guys at one time. I think she thought I was crazy by the look she gave me. After that we took a vote on dinner and ended up going to Taco Bell, where D.K. proceeded to scarf down four tacoes. He almost ate a fifth one, but decided that it would be better to stop at four and not risk puking it all up... he's all 8-year-old boy, what can I say!! It was fun to just sit there with nothing to do but talk with them. Like I've said before, sometimes it seems like even though we're together, we're always on the go or doing something specific. I like to slow down and just be with them. It was funny, at first we sat down in a booth. We all opened our tacoes and started eating and then we noticed one of those tall tables with the tall seats. The boys thought it looked cool, so we packed up all our food and moved everything over there to eat. When we finished talking, we put our coats back on, walked out into the bitter-cold wind and went to get Bee.

We are now back home and we're all camping out in the living room for the night. Stuart Little 2 is playing and they have "made" mommy's bed on the couch with my pillow and a blanket. It's beckoning for my body to come warm it up!



"Thank you God for days like today. Thank You for giving me these two precious young men to love and raise for Your glory. Please help me to do right by them and You. Help me always to remember that they are first and foremost Yours and that I am merely a messenger of their Heavenly Father's love for them. Give me the words and actions to always bring You to life in whatever situation we may be thrust into as they grow and mature. Most of all, give me the ability to show them who You are in such a way that they yearn for You and cannot exsist without You in their hearts. I pray that someday they may make wonderful, Christian men to broaden Your kingdom all over the earth."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEVER!!! In answer to your question..Then I read the message and was laughing until the last paragraph when I read the prayer and bawled like a big baby. Beautiful. I love ya.

Nan said...

I second the prayer, and hope the same for my gkids.

We loved Night at the Museum too! Sounds like you all had a wonderful night. I know what you mean about school festivals. They are killers. I liked them when I was a kid though.