Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I Have Been Late For...

1. Church
2. Sunday School
3. Parent/Teacher conferences
4. Award Ceremony at boys' school
5. Bee's school day (1/2 the time)
6. Dr.'s appt's (actually had to reschedule one time for being so late)
7. work
8. leaving on vacation (usually at least an hour)
9. getting dinner started (we had dinner after 8:00 when we entire family was here
for the family reunion back in October because I started it late. It's not
uncommon to have dinner after 7:00 in our house.)
10. Bed (everyday for the last week)
11. school
12. hair app'ts
13. picking my boys up after school (only happened once)

I am the queen of lateness... people who are on time don't get how someone can be so chronically late. It's a disease, something one is born with. I've never been in a hurry to get anywhere until 5 minutes before I'm supposed to leave to be there in my entire life. When I was in third grade I was called into the principals office for being late several days in a row... I walked to school and liked to take in the scenery enroute to school.

I have been teased about this character flaw my entire life. I have had many people smile and point to the watch on their wrist, sometimes invisible. I've heard the cracks like "well, it's nice of you to join us". I have become the "queen of being late excuses". The problem with that is that people eventually catch on the 10th time your late in a row and when you really do have a good excuse for being late... well, it's kinda like "the boy who cried wolf".

I tend to get sidetracked really easy... thus causing me not to do what it takes to get ready to get out the door on time. This has always driven my mother nuts!! Even now we'll be getting ready to go somewhere together and she's usually waiting on me, but I'll still stop and have a conversation... no I'm not talking while getting ready, I'm standing there with my hairbrush in my hand (not my hair) flipping it around like the drama queen that I am. I can here her voice and see the flip of her hand as she tells me to "come on".

When we go somewhere as a family, Smart Guy and the kids go out and get in the car a good 2-3 minutes before me, almost all the time. Maybe that's just some Freudian way of getting out of getting everyone out the door, into the car, and buckled in... usually pretty chaotic. Maybe it's just one more time that I've been late something!!

3 comments:

FarmWife said...

On my own, I am never late. With kids and Husband in tow, I am usually late. I'm the last one out the door, but I'm also the one who dresses all 3 kids. Husband is always the first one out and he never gets ready until 5 minutes before we have to go. It makes me crazy...

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh yes as her mom I can testify...this is a gal who is...always...hmmm maybe not always because she was born a couple of days early...but she's late...hmmm always...
Love you Girl
Mom

Lauren said...

I'd be late if I had 3 kids to juggle, too! Oh wait, I am! Not always, but more thn I used to be...
hope my parents are running on time so I'm not late to that funeral tomorrow.