Tuesday, January 23, 2007

We Are Bad Parents

Well, we broke a major parenting law tonight... at least one in our house. If you are too sick to go to school, if you live in our house that means you are too sick to do anything in the evening. Unfortunately this evening was Prophet's first basketball practice of the "season" (6 games). I told him this morning that if he stayed in bed all day under the vaporizer and if he was feeling better, that we'd let him go to practice. So he did, and we did. We all went along to cheer him on.

He's actually playing in the 6, 7, and 8 year old league. The next league up goes from 9-12. He's actually 9, but he's only in second grade and he's the size of most first graders, so they're letting him play with kids in his grade. I'm glad they let us do it. He at least has a chance with these kids. Not only would he have not been able to keep up with the older group, he also would have gotten seriously hurt. Even in this younger group, there's still bigger kids out there playing.

He's such a fun and happy kid. It's very hard to get him down. He got hit in the head with a stray ball three times tonight and then hit the gym floor at least three times and always smiled afterwards. He's a tough little turkey. I guess if your brain can take a grade 3 hemorrhage and hydrocephalus, heal itself with no intervention other than therapy, and still come out relatively okay, a simple knock to the skull with a basketball is nothing.

Anyway, he played his bahooney off and didn't really cough all that much, which really shocked me. He started dragging the last 10 minutes, but never came off the floor. I had told him that if he got too tired, he could come sit with us for awhile. He never did. He was too excited. It's been a long time since last years season ended.

We ate a late dinner at 7:00 or so. Then everyone headed upstairs to get on jammies, read books, pray, get doped up with nighttime cough meds, and go to sleep. Hopefully he doesn't cough all night. Last night, D.K. ended up on our floor because Prophet was keeping him awake coughing. Sometime during the night Bee also joined the party in our bedroom. Poor Prophet was the only one of the six of us, not in our bedroom by this morning. Anyway, Smart Guy is downstairs watching the State of the Union. Or to be more exact, rolling his eyes at most everything that comes out of the man's mouth. I was watching it, but after the third time I was about to hurl all over myself, I decided to come upstairs. I'll watch the stuff afterwards to hear what he said. Even if I don't agree with it, I can handle it better from someone else's mouth. Just looking at Bush is too much!!

Well, goodnight everyone!! Love to you all and lots of cyber hugs!!

2 comments:

crt said...

hey grace,
i just realized you commented on my blog about the children's museum. so sorry i didn't respond!!! you are welcome by anytime!
i worked in muncie for a year, but now we are in fishers. it takes us about 25 minutes to get to the museum. i'm glad you were able to talk dk into the museum versus the zoo. i have the chills thinking about walking around outside at this time of year. we'll have to plan a get together.

Anonymous said...

Hello I have been searching for other parents that may be dealing with the same things as I am. My son is 8 and had a grade 4 brain hemmorage. We are so thankful for him as the doctors said he would not make it. My son is now in 1st grade we held him back in Kindergarten since he was so far behind. He wears braces on his legs, he has mild CP. With each passing year he seems to get a little further behind with school. Lately he has been getting frustrated at school and acting out. A lot of times I am at a loss in how to deal with him. We are constantly trying new ways to help our son learn, and constantly trying to figure out ways to get through to him, it seems there is no reasoning with him. We love him very much and want the best for him. The teachers at school our as frustrated as we are. My husband and I are Christians as well and have a strong faith. We know that God is in control of everything and all will turn out according to his perfect plan. I was just wondering if you had any words of wisdom, any helpful books dealing with these issues or any helpful hints. I look forward to hearing from you and hope you have a fabulous day. Thanks