Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Those Durn Fairies

Back at the end of August, I finally gave in and let Bee get her ears pierced. She'd been bugging me about it for a few months. It was quite an event. Her and I went to Claire's at the mall together to have it done, but there was only one person working that afternoon, so she said to come back the next evening (Friday) when there would be two people so they could each do an ear and get them done at the same time. So, after all the hipe and getting excited, we left and returned the next evening. Bee very bravely walked into Claire's the next night, announced her plans for her ears to be pierced, and went over and hopped up in the high stool to have it done. They had me fill out all the paperwork and sign my daughter's little earlobes away so we couldn't sue them if they turned black and fell off. By the time this was all finished, we had quite an audience watching outside the windows waiting for what they thought was gonna be entertainment. I'm sure they probably thought that her mean mommy was making her have it done and hadn't told her 327 times that it would hurt and that she would most definitely cry. Finally, little tiny Bee had someone on each side of her and me holding her hands in the middle (almost in tears for what I knew was coming). They counted and shot the earrings into her precious little earlobes. Bee immediately began crying. Not that cry that a mom hears from another room and knows its just anger and not worth tending to, but that gut-wrenching cry that makes no noise at first and then makes a mommy wanna join in the anquish with her small fry!! I grabbed her off the chair and held her tight, immediately feeling horrible guilt over allowing her to do something that I as the responsible grown-up should have known better than to let her do. But then, 20 seconds after the shot to the ears, the ear-piercer said "do you wanna see them?". I put Bee down on the stool, we showed her those beautiful pierced little ears and she immediately stopped crying, smiled, and fell in love with them.

Since that moment on she has told EVERYONE she sees that her ears are pierced, even if she's already told them 10 times. I think she's told her Sara Orange at least 20 times now!! She's so proud of those crazy little pink flowers budding from her ears!! She reminds me to clean them regularly and is very careful when we're taking off her shirts to change clothes. There are times when it's actually annoying because she's so careful with them.

We never have bought different earrings and changed them. I really havn't seen the point of taking the time each day to make sure my three year old's earrings match what she has on. So, she has never had her earrings out of her ears...until today. Tonight after her bath, while I was drying her hair, I noticed that one of her earrings was missing. So, instead of keeping this to myself, knowing she had not noticed it and probably wouldn't, I said something to the effect of "Oh no Bee, you lost an earring". Now, as far as she's concerned, I might as well have said, "Oh no Bee, your entire head just fell off and started rolling around the house," because that's pretty much what happened. She completely lost her head. She cried and cried and went on and on and on. We scoured the entire house several times with her hot on our heels, but not helping , the entire time. I even used the bagless vac to sweep and then searched thru all the contents.

So when we had decided that it had probably gone down the drain and we'd have to buy new ones tomorrow, we then had to find something to put in her ears for the night, because the holes aren't supposed to be empty at all for the first year or so after they're done. I only brought one pair with me to mom and dad's and they are too big for her to sleep in and my mom is a dangly earring kinda woman. Mom searched thru all her drawers for something Bee could use. We found one Mickey earring and one little fake diamond earring. Bee excitedly chose the Mickey one. We put it in and she started yelling again saying it hurt. So Grannie changed it and put the little diamond in. Bee was happy so we headed to bed.

As soon as I pulled the blankets down on her bed, there sat her earring and the back right next to each other. Now some might say that the simple reason it was there would be that it fell out last night and we just hadn't noticed it all day long. Personally, I think the fairies that live in Mom and Dad's house took it, but when they saw the much more dazzling diamond in her ear, they decided they liked it better and gave the other one back!! You think I'm crazy, but this isn't the first time wierd things like that have happened in Mom and Dad's house!!

I do believe in fairies, I do, I do!! I do believe in fairies, I do, I do!!

4 comments:

FarmWife said...

Baby Girl has expressed intrest in ear rings, but always decides against it when pain is mentioned. I was 4 when I had mine done...one ear at a time.

As to faries, Busha and Bucka have gremlins that live at their house. Their names are "Not me" and "I dunno." They've always lived there doing odd and onery things.

Anonymous said...

you crack me up .. i could have brought my earring

the hubby

Farm Fairy & Bruno said...

well this farm fair beleives in faireies as they spend the day moving hubby's keys, chapstick and chew!

Anonymous said...

This Granny and Pa believe in fairies...they move and hide things in our house all the time.
Mom