Tuesday, January 9, 2007

My "Near" Faith Crises

It's 12:10, I know I should be in bed sleeping by now, but obviously I'm not!! Everyone else is sound asleep... the only time to have time to myself.

I've had something on my mind for a week or so now and haven't blogged about it for fear of who might read this and think differently of me. After all I was "born in the front pew of the church", have believed my entire life, and have been the helpmate to a youth pastor for almost 13 years nows... I feel like these questions shouldn't be questions for me. Maybe that means I'm putting myself on a pedastal, I don't know. I like to think not.

Anyway, last week I found out about two major "things" happening involving people that were known to have integrity. I guess I kinda talked about my struggle then, but that was just the beginning of it. It blossomed... and then some. I started questioning a few faith issues that I have just simply believed since I was a child, and revisited questioning one from a few years back that simply disappeared from my mind when I just relaxed back into God's arms and trusted him. I want answers now!!

The whole issue of prayer has been a topic for me during this last week or so. Inkling and I stayed up until 1:30 talking on the phone about this issue one night last week. We all say "pray for so and so". Some of these prayers I don't question. I don't question praying for someone who is sick, that there may be healing... although I do question why one person is healed and not another... that's not for us as humans to know... there's always a reason... usually found later after all is said and done... sometimes many years later. The prayers I question are the one's that ask for someone to do or not do something or for something to happen that involves a choice from someone. For example: If I ask God that my children please obey me and clean there rooms. God doesn't make them do it. They have a free-will, God's gift to them, to choose whether or not they are going to obey me. If they then have this free will, what's the point in praying that they'll do it?

Seriously, what's the point in a wife asking God to make her husband faithful? The choice is ultimately up to that husband to choose to do the right thing, right? Does God ever intervene and make someone do something because someone else has prayed for them, thus stripping them of the free will that was granted by God in the first place? Does He put a thought into a husband's head that says "Your wife is praying for you?" and make them "feel" that what they are about to do is wrong? Is that type of prayer more for us humans... I'm more likely to do something right if I know that someone is counting on me to do it that way.

I guess if I believe that God makes us do things a certain way to answer the prayers of others, then I don't see how we could possibly be honoring Him by our actions. I mean, how is it honorable to someone if you are being forced to do something. God is my god because I have chosen to make Him that way. I have the choice, He gave me that choice. If it wasn't my choice to love Him, to worship Him, it wouldn't be honoring Him. If Smart Guy had to love me because I was holding a gun to his head, it would mean nothing to me, but because he loves me because he chooses to love me, it means everything. It's kinda like the child who only obeys because they are fearful of being spanked... I personally want my children to respect and obey me because they ultimately choose to do so because it is for their own good, not because I do something that forces them into it.

God is not a puppeteer. He's not "up there" pulling our strings to make us hand back that extra $5 bill, pulling our foot off the gas pedal to slow down to the speed limit, or telling that husband to walk away from a situation. He's not a slave driver. The things He asks of us are for our own good, to help our lives run smoother and ultimately to worship Him. But we don't have to do them, WE HAVE A CHOICE!

Then that brings up the whole issue of God being in control. On the Sunday after 9-11, I (the good little youth pastor's wife) got up and sang in front of the church a song that I had always loved... Twila Paris' "God Is In Control". I cried, everyone in the congregation cried. It made us all feel better to think that God would save us, that He was still in charge of the situation. I sang, but honestly it was just a bunch of words. God was not in control during 9-11, the people who chose to use those airplanes as huge bombs were in control during 9-11. They were practicing that free-will that God has given to us. Unfortunately they used it to the cause pain to many people all over the world. Again, He's not a puppeteer.

There's such a fine line between my free-will and God knowing everything that I will ever say, everything that I will ever do, every place I will ever go, and every person I will ever influence... I guess that's my struggle... where is that line?

So, while I'm having a faith struggle, it's not a complete faith struggle... I'll get thru it... I may just have to once again sit back and relax in God's arms and allow myself to trust the faith I have in Him to get me thru the next few years until it comes up again... until then I still believe that God is my Lord... I'll still pray to Him, the alternative stinks... I'll still trust that He's gonna take care of my family and friends... what choice do I have really... as much as I believe that I have a free-will to do what I please, to chose if I love Him, for myself He runs thru the very veins of my body, to simply get rid of Him would leave a hole bigger than the Grand Canyon inside of me. I choose to love Him, I choose to trust Him. Some questions will never have answers this side of eternity I guess, because I can't seem to get a firm solid answer that "does it" for me from anyone. Smart Guy says I'm making it too difficult. This from the king of theology. I've been known to accuse Inkling of thinking about theological issues to much, making it too difficult... she's been known to think that Ruby and I make it too simple. I like the simple way better, it's easier. Did God ever really intend for "this" to be so hard to figure out? Oh, I'm just ramblin' at this point, I can't get down what I want to get down...

*Feel free to give me your opinions, IF 1. you love me 2. you consider me a friend 3. you're not going to berate me.

12 comments:

FarmWife said...

I promise not to berate, I promise to love, and I will pray for what ever it is you need as you work through this.

I've thought about this a lot in a situation with my friend Art. Her husband was a wonderful man. Good husband, good father, good Christian, bad past. He loved God, his wife, his kids...and then he left. He did a 180 and crushed someone I love so very dearly.

I used to pray that S.P. would mend his ways and come home to his family. Then I realized, God will not make him come home. God wants him home, but will not interfer in S.P.'s free will. God has nudged him in the right direction, but S.P. chooses not to follow. That's his choice. Now I just pray for Art's healing and strenght, and that S.P. would continue to see the truth even if he chooses to do nothing with it. That's all I can do.

I don't know if this helped at all, but it's what I've delt with the past 2 years.

T Moss said...

Thank you for this insight. I enjoyed it very much and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Anonymous said...

I am in the midst of reading a sermon called: Are There Two Wills in God .. I am still processing it.

Also, from confirmation class last Sunday, a question was asked, " why do we need to hide God's Word in our heart ?"

A short answer is that when the going gets rough - we can have anchors to hold on to - if they are hid in our hearts - they will rise to the surface.

I know that I am guilty of this but here is a line that "strikes me" .. Most of us live our lives never examining Scripture in light of the things that disagree with where our theology is at.

One scripture to throw out while we wrestle with the tough things: Proverbs 21:1: The king's heart is like channels of water, in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever he wishes.

As tough as it is, if we are going to discuss a "tough" subject, we need to turn to scripture.

Hopefully, that was not too rough - all conversation in love and trying to figure this out. These are tough questions and the answers may even be tougher.

That is where my simple approach came in:

Love God / Love Others and I think all will be fine ...

the hubby who may be off his rocker

Lauren said...

"Did God ever realy intend for "this" to be so hard to figure out?"...
that's how I feel about the issue I've been wrestling with.. exactly.
Right now I take comfort in His Sovreignty. He will cause all things to work together for the good of those who are in Christ Jesus... I know that may come across as overly simplistic, but "all" things has to include the good, the bad, and the ugly. I believe it's in Romans where he states the some vessels are created for noble purposes and some for ignoble purposes. That's a really tough one to swallow. But it's there. He knows whether or not we will choose to trust Him,, to follow Him. To doubt Him.... praying for you as you join me on the wrestling mat, so to speak.

Anonymous said...

At times I have felt I have no agency to consider living on the other side of the veil or the alternative I need to comply with the laws of God, and the laws of the land. If I don't make the correct choice will this be the one thing that causes me to go to the alternative on judgement day. I have talked extensively to missionairies, my bishop and my daddy.

It comes down to me being thankful and greatful that the Adversary was not sent down here to guide/raise us and insure that we would return to our Heavenly Father. I would not want to live in a world where my choices were dictated to me where I could not have a thought of my own. (Wasn't that hard when we were kids?) We would be clones, robotic, and trust me that would not be pretty to see me as a robot. Maybe the Adversary thought he had good intentions, but he wanted the fame and glory and was consumed with how to get us back for that fame, glory and greed. I am thankful my brother Jesus was there and stepped forth.

Since these discussions, in my prayers I have now asked that the Holy Ghost be with those that need to make choices and feel the burn/fire of the Godhead in their heart/gut for confirmation. I ask that God's Will be done, and that it is to be revieled(SP) why it was done this way.

I don't know if any of this make sense..If it doesn't I'm sorry. I'll keep praying your answers to these questions are given in answers you hear,see and can find.

Anonymous said...

PS I love you and do not judge you. I really do hope that you find the answers you seek that can ease your mind, and you are satisfied with these answers

Inkling said...

You know me, and you know I don't want to touch this discussion with a ten foot pole. I'm somewhere in the messy middle between reformed theology and free will. Trust me, it's really messy here in the middle and I have NO idea. So I wasn't going to comment at all....

but then thought of this....Paul (I think) tells us to pray about everything. So....whether or not God would actually motivate your children to obey or a husband to do the right thing because of someone else's prayer, if it's on your mind, I guess you are free to let Him know.

Okay....going back to the messy middle and staying quiet. love you....

Anonymous said...

here is a scary theological slant to get you thinking :)

this is the heavy-weight though ..

if we have complete-free-will does that make us more powerful than God ?

by that meaning, if God can not change us .. then we are more powerful

unless you go with the theology that God is with-holding His power - so we can have free will

ugh ... and you wonder why i want to keep it simple ..

the hubby ( aka smart guy )

Anonymous said...

How about a Bible story .....

Gen. 20 ...

God shows up in a man's bedroom and intervens !

He shows up and say's " you can't sin ".

God is essentially saying, " I don't think I'm going to let you sin today.

The charachters involved: Abraham, Sarah and Abimelech. Some argue the reason God showed up was Abraham was praying that Abimelech would not sleep with Sarah ..

Wether this is proving prayer can stop or if we have free will "still in the end " .. it is everyone's personal call ...

What is the struggle for me is the following: at times, it seems that God restrains evil at times and at times .. He does not restrain evil .. why ???

To me, that is where I throw my hands up and go, " God, it is about you, not me "

Back to the simple life and prepping for my next volunteer meeting :)

the hubby (aka - smart guy )

Lauren said...

Inkling, I'm with you in the middle somewhere between reformed theology and free will.

Smart Guy, I really appreciate your insight on these topics.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think many of us have a tendency to make things more difficult and forget to enjoy the life that God wants us to live. Also, we wouldn't be normal if we didn't think a little deeply occasionaly. I think it is a good idea to lean back into God's arms and let Him love you for who you are and stop worrying for awhile. He loves us so very much and cares for your concerns. It is my belief that no matter how much we would like to know the answers, when we get to Heaven, we won't really care. Love you~!

Anonymous said...

Good for you all...it's ok to question!
Love you
Mom