Monday, January 8, 2007

My Monthly Menu

I've always been a list freak. I get it honest. My dad and grandma are the same way. If I don't have a couple lists going about something, I'm probably feeling very overwhelmed with all the things that are in my head at that time. Lists give me a feeling of power knowing that I'm not gonna forget something that's rolling around in my head once it's on paper, that is, if I can keep track of my list. I've always been one of "those women" who has a menu on her fridge. We don't use it all the time, but I try to stick to it pretty close. Because of this menu, I'm also one of "those women" whom you see with a very anally organized grocery list in the grocery store. I have several categories on my list... meat, produce, dairy, C & J (cans and jars), B & B (boxes and bags not bed and breakfast, Ruby), frozen, bread, H & B (health and beauty), bakery, baking aisle, paper, and misc. Okay no comments from the peanut gallery, I'm not OCD okay, I just simply like for everyone to think that I'm totally organized when they walk into my kitchen and see this incredibly detailed list. It works, you should try it sometime. I know Sarah was asking for dinner ideas last week and Lauren is trying to make a meal plan, so I thought I'd post my newest menu for everyone to see and make fun of. I get made fun of alot for this, but inside I know it's just because their all jealous. LOL

Week 1
M - pizza pork chops, angel hair pasta, garlic bread, and salad (C.P.)
T - tortellini & sausage soup, crusty bread, and salad
W - church or sandwiches and veggies
Th - chicken pot pie and green beans
F - pizza
Sa - shake & bake pork chops, baked potatoes, kidney beans, and salad (S.G. fav)
Su - church

Week 2
M - meatballs, mashed potatoes, and green beans (C.P)
T - pancakes, sausage, and fruit
W - church or sandwiches and veggies
Th - spaghetti, salad, and bread
F - pizza
Sa - creamy chicken & noodles, and green beans
Su - church

Week 3
M - veggie-beef soup, salad, and bread (C.P.)
T - biscuits & gravy, cottage cheese, and fruit
W - church or sandwiches and veggies
Th - cheeseburger pie and green beans
F - pizza
Sa - bacon-cheeseburger pasta, salad, and bread
Su - church

Week 4
M - tortilla soup, salad, and bread (C.P.)
T - roasted chicken, wild rice, and stir-fry veggies
W - church or sandwiches and veggies
Th - lasagna casserole, salad, and garlic bread
F - pizza
Sa - nachoes and toppings
Su - church

Lunches
M - hot dogs, sunchips, and carrots
T - tuna salad, crackers, and grapes
W - cereal & milk, yogurt, and applesauce
Th - P.B. & J., pretzels, and applesauce
F - leftovers
Sa - sandwiches, chips, and veggies
Su - sandwiches or leftovers

Breakfast*
M - eggs
T - toast
W - oatmeal
Th - pancakes
F - cereal and milk
Sa - donuts
Su - cereal and milk

Bedtime Snack*
M - cereal
T - pretzels
W - toast
Th - banana
F - popcorn
Sa - string cheese
Su - applesauce

School Snack*
M - string cheese
T - granola bar
W - popcorn
Th - cheese crackers
F - apple slices

After School Snack*
M - popcorn
T - cheese crackers
W - apple slices
Th - string cheese
F - granola bar

*apples, bananas, grapes, carrots, raisins, and celery are always options!!


Okay, now before y'all start making fun and saying things like ".... OCD tendencies" and such... just remember this... while you probably don't know what your children are having for breakfast tomorrow morning (in less than 12 hours) I can tell you what my children are having for their after school snack on Thursday in three weeks.

While this may give the illusion that I'm really organized, keep in my mind that I still have at least 13 loads of laundry sitting on my bedroom floor waiting to be washed, my daughter is sleeping on the floor in her room because when she cleaned her room this evening I didn't check it until I went to put her in bed and found she had put every single item that was on her floor onto her bed, and at the moment the only item on that menu that is currently in my kitchen is a box of microwave popcorn. The menu thing is just "my thing"... it gives me some freedom to not have to think about what's for dinner any more often than every few months when I make up a new one!!

If anyone wants any of those recipes, ask and I'll put them on. I just didn't want to put them all on and no one use them or really care. Keep in mind though, that I'm one of those cooks that tends to never use an actual recipe, I just kinda throw the same basic things into the pot and hope it turns out close to the same as last time!!

*by the way "C.P." means crock-pot and the meatballs are frozen - much easier than meatloaf and I can pop them in the crock-pot in the morning with some tomato sauce, green peppers, onions, and garlic and by dinner they're done!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the menu - when it is clicking.

With the menu on the fridge, I know which nights to schedule meetings ..

the hubby :)

FarmWife said...

I love it!!!! You should be an organizational guru! And I need the pizza porkchop rec. I have 2 pigs in my freezer and am tired of grilled p.c.

Anonymous said...

I would like the recipe for tortellini soup. I have always admired your ability to make out a monthly menu and an in detail shopping list. I have tried to do this and never can keep up with it. Thanks!!!!

Love ya,
Cleanin' Cuz '75

Lauren said...

that's awesome!!!!!!
i tend to make adjustments or make up recipes, too.

the friend that introduce hubby and i up is getting married in a couple of weeks. her mom is an awesome cook of italian descent, and as a gift she typed up over 1000 of the recipes she uses and put them into 2 big notebooks for her shower. her husband to be is peruvian, and food is very integral in their culture, but even his sisters were shocked to learn that her mom had indeed cooked all of them.