Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Did You Know That Plastic Melts in the Oven?

After I read SARAH'S POST earlier today, I was reminded of what happened to Ruby last Christmas morning. We don't usually talk until the day after Christmas, so we can spend our time with our families, but I got a phone call to relay this story.

Ruby makes sticky buns for her family every Christmas morning. Last Christmas Eve, she made them, covered them with plastic wrap, and put them in the fridge for the night. The next morning on Christmas, she got up and took them out of the fridge to let them warm up a little, while the oven warmed up. Her hubby, Mr. Debonair, went into the kitchen to do something, so Ruby asked him to throw the sticky buns into the oven. He did!! She checked on them several times and they didn't appear to be baking right. They were still shiny and not rising at all. They baked and baked and baked. Then one time she looked at them, she realized something. The plastic wrap she had used to cover them for the fridge was still on them. Mr. Debonair didn't take it off. He thought it was okay in the oven and by the time Ruby checked on them the first time, it had melted onto the buns and couldn't really be seen.

So, last Christmas they had no sticky buns thanks to a well meaning husbands attempt at helping his wife!! Ruby, use aluminum foil this year, babe!!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh no! How horrible!

We make monkey bread on Christmas eve to chow on after tearing into our gifts. If I did that plastic wrap on the treats thing, my whole family would be so mad at me! It's our tradition!

Lauren said...

ugh... i could see that happening around here. except we use the pillsbury or other canned cinnamon rolls most of the time, and hubby is quite good at fixing those!

Anonymous said...

Ruby here. This entry made me laugh out loud as it is even funnier to hear the story being told by someone else!

I wanted to give my sales pitch for Pampered Chef Stoneware as it was what I had the sticky buns in and once the melted plastic cooled, the pan came clean and it wasn't ruined. I was quite impressed myself! Gotta love a seasoned pan! Although I agree with you Grace - we are going for the alumninum foil this year! :)