Monday, December 11, 2006

I Must Apologize

Okay, Lauren has reminded me that she is not an actual southerner after my jab about what southerners call "pop". She apparently refers to the cold, fizzy beverages as "pop" just as I do.

The entire time we lived in Alabama I was made fun of for using the word "pop". Even more than your average person because I am a stinkin' youth pastor's wife who is around teens on a regular basis, and they are notorius for torturing people who do or say things different. Everytime I said the word "pop" they would say "read the can, it doesn't say pop, it says soda". Okay, so they're right on that one.

I remember when it first dawned on me in that they were really refering to "pop" in general as "coke". I mean, how wierd is that. Sometimes it's Sprite, Mountain Dew, A&W root beer, ALE 8-1 (Kentucky thing), 7-up, or even Pepsi!!

All in all it's amazing our children call it "pop". They just spent the last six years of their lives in regions where it was not called "pop", but their midwestern mother would never dream of letting them lose their heritage and stoop to such levels.

Now that I'm back in the midwest, I find myself hesitating before saying the word "pop" and waiting for the reaction that I've recieved for the last six years.
It's wonderful that everyone around uses the same word for the refreshing, carbonated stuff, it's just one more thing to remind me that I've come back home!!!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

No apology needed. I must admit, the year-round availability of sweetened iced tea is something I've grown rather fond of down here in the south.