Thursday, December 28, 2006

Thank Goodness for Technology

We left for Mountain Mom and Grizzley Dad's house yesterday around 9:00. While we were on the road, Smart Guy used the cell phone to call our home voicemail to see if anyone had called. We had two messages... one from the clinic about next week's "tube down the throat" thing and another one from the people who interviewed me for that job last week that I never told you guys about. They wanted to meet with me at 9:00 this morning and wanted me to call back to confirm the time with them. I called them back to tell them we were out of town and I wouldn't be able to be there. Fortunately this job is at our church so they were okay with it. They told me what they wanted over the phone. They wanted to tell me that I got the job with a minor change to the original job description. Instead of two people doing the job at 20 hours a week, they added 5 hours to the total, making it 45 hours, and are now splitting it 3 ways at 15 hours a week for each.

So you ask, "Grace could you please share what this job is with us?" Well, I am now one of our church's part-time custodians. I'm actually really excited about it!! It's incredibly flexible, all I have to do is email my intended schedule to my "supervisor" each week. I can take my kids with me if I need to. I'll be at work with Smart Guy in the same building. How great is that!!

It's really pretty cool how this all worked out... About a month ago, one of the church's part-time custodian's moved to Louisville because her new husband found a new job. When they moved, they put their house up for rent. We have friends at church who were wanting to move out of their parents house into their own, so the mom found a job so they could rent the house. Since she is now working, I am now watching Billy Boy 5 days every two weeks. So basically, because one person moved away I have ended up with two jobs because of their move to Louisville. Both jobs are flexible and enable me to be there for my family still. I know neither job is exactly glamorous, but it's what my family needs at this season in my life. Watching Billy Boy is wonderful for Bee and provides her with the playmate that the boys always had in each other, he's pretty easy to take care of, and I can drag both kids around if I need to do something. I've got plenty of time to find a "glamorous" job after everyone's grown up and gone.

So starting next week, I'll have 15 hours less free-time to blog!! EEEEK!! How horrible is that? I'll just have to be sure to make a scheduled time right before bed each night to sit down and read and type!! I definitely can't give it up now that I found all you guys!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations grace..I'm so happy for you. YEAH!!!

Lauren said...

congratulations! i'm so glad you found something that still allows you to focus on your family.

FarmWife said...

Cool! Do you remember the custodian at Second? His name was Charlie & I used to think the church building belonged to him & that's why he cleaned it. Congrats on the new job!!

Nan said...

Sounds great! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

congrats ... thanks for the $$

the hubby ;)