Tuesday, December 5, 2006

You Know It's Cold When...

You know it's cold when you have to warm up the butter that was sitting out on your kitchen counter all night before you can spread it.

You know it's cold when your dog comes in and he has frost on his chin.

You know it's cold when the flurries from several days ago still haven't melted.

You know it's cold when the ice on your porch doesn't melt in direct sunlight.

You know it's cold when you start your car early and it's still not warm 10 minutes later.

You know it's cold when you can't stand at your kitchen counter with no shoes on because of the cold draft coming from under the cabinets. (actually I think that means we need better insulation)

You know it's cold when your 3 year old's feet are cold to the touch. She can usually go barefoot and have warm feet no matter what.

I have decided that winter is something to simply be tolerated and gotten thru until spring arrives.

I have decided that I'm not sure if the Midwest April thru November are worth December thru March.

I have decided that all those senior citizens who are "snowbirds", the ones I've always rolled my eyes at and made fun of, have a good idea after all.

I have decided that those car seats that have the warmers in them are awesome, even if they do make me feel like I've just peed my pants.

I have decided that the misery of a hot, humid, Alabama summer looks pretty good right now. (although during that hot, humid Alabama summer, the midwest winter sounded pretty good, I guess it's all in your perspective)

I have decided that there is something wrong with my internal thermometer. I am always cold right now. Bone chillin' cold!!! BRRRRRRRRRR!!! I'm never gonna make it until March when it starts to warm up a little bit. In February when I know everyone in Alabama is starting to pull out their spring clothes, I'm gonna be jealous. I know I'm pathetic. You're all out there saying "it's only December, you've got a long time yet 'til it warms up, just shut up and deal with it". I know. I know. Don't be too rough on me, remember this my first winter back up in the midwest for 3 years, it's freakin' cold up here. It was 13 degrees when I got up this morning.... and I just checked the temp. it's still only 22 degrees with the wind chill. People in Alabama think their gonna die when it hits 45 degrees. Like I said before, I am a midwest girl, I can do this!!!!!!!

5 comments:

FarmWife said...

I've been back up here for 10 years, and I still think it's too friggin' cold!!! Give me that Tender Tennessee Christmas any day!

Grace said...

I love that song. I was just listening to it as I was getting breakfast this morning!!

Lauren said...

if only we actually got snow, though. they do in the east part of the state, but i want to know how many christmases Amy Grant has actually experienced snow in middle tn.

speaking of AG, Farmwife, did you ever make it to the Loft gathering when she and Gary were married and they had it in their barn? I did a couple of times.

Anyway, the 30's is cool enough for me, I supposed. Although I tolerated 21 below quite well last February when we visited hubby's Grandma in WI. Of course, she kept it 80 degrees with her wood-burning furnace in the cellar.

Lauren said...

h\e]|\00000000000000000000000000ppy, how far are you from fishee.rs? that's where my bil and sil live..

oops, baby bear is kicking me off ....\

Farm Fairy & Bruno said...

Honey I lived in Hawaii for five years and when I moved back here I had too use an electric blanket (and the waterbed) even in the hottest of days. To this day I can only get warm under the electric blanket AND the heavy down comforter..as well as a few fleece coverlets....I look like a Temera Taco wrapped up in the mound!! Now I could never have a waterbed as the power goes out too often, no ice cube chica here!