Friday, December 15, 2006

It's Soapbox Time Again

So, here I sit at my own computer, in my own chair, in my own house. We didn't go to Mom and Dad's house for the night. Mom is sick and not feelin' up to havin' us there, even if I did feel like takin' my family in to be infected with her germies!! Smart Guy and the kids are havin' their weekly, traditional, Friday night campout in the living room while Mommy gets some time to herself upstairs. I worked on my Christmas cards for about 2 hours this evening. They now have the pictures attatched. As soon as I get the journaling part done and the envelopes addressed, we'll be in business. Next year when I decided to make my own cards, throw me some virtual reminders of how long it takes. Oh, well, I know it'll be worth it when they're all done.

It snowed in our house tonight. Actually it's been snowing in my upstairs for the last couple weeks. Bee's favorite pastime right now is using the hole punch to punch out zillions of little white dots. They are currently all over our bedroom floor and have been for about a week. I don't vacuum upstairs very often, the floor doesn't generally get that dirty up here, so there they still are. Well, Bee had left a small rubbermaid-type container of her precious dots on the side of the stairs, and when Drama King threw his pillow down the stairs for the campout, it hit the container and turned into the north pole. If it hadn't been for Bee's complete freak-out session over the entire ordeal it would actually have been funny. She was panicked because her precious dots were spilled. Of course, they weren't spilled on one step. They are on every step but the top three. They are everywhere. So, now they will be tracked downstairs also, so I suppose it's time to get the vacuum cleaner out and actually vacuum. I have nothing else planned for tomorrow, I was supposed to be shopping with my mom. Hmmmm.... shopping with Mom or vacuuming?

My heartburn still exsists. It's a little better after one pill this morning, so hopefully after the second one tomorrow morning it'll be even better. It really stinks cause everything makes it worse right now. I grabbed a very small gooey butter bar for a snack last night and was already sorry about two minutes later. It's crazy!!

Well, we watched the kids this morning for Jubilee. Mrs. Music and myself were all set for 15 kids and only two came. One of those was a psycho-possessed three year old whom we took back to his mother after 25 minutes. He was kicking and hitting and screaming like a little monster. I don't know how to deal with that, my kids can be rotten sometimes, but nothing like this kid. I have worked daycare, preschool, and as a nanny for years, and this little turd took the cake. Mrs. Music did way more talking than I did with him. In our house we don't parent our children as if they are equals, they aren't. If any of my children ever hit one of us, they would sit on their little bahooney's for a very long period of time, forget that whole 1 minute per year junk. At 3 1/2, children are capable of listening and obeying and getting the consequencenes (sp) if they don't. Even when Bee throws her fits, she's not physically mean and she doesn't scream at anyone in particular. I can't even explain this child. His mother said she was embarassed and that it was her fault for never leaving him anywhere before. Prophet had never been left at that age, and he would cry if I put him in the nursery at church, but he NEVER hit or kicked a grown-up. This is a really sour point with me, because when I was pregnant with Prophet I was working at a daycare center in the Atlanta, GA area. There was an angry child that kicked me square in the stomach. It took 18 months to get pregnant with that little guy and every teacher in the place knew it. That kids mother was called and he was outta there within an hour. I had no compassion for the kid after that. As a childcare worker, when you have a child that acts like that, it's very hard not to wonder what's going on at home. Usually, even if a child is a brat at home for their parents, they'll be little angels for other people when they're not at home. Okay, that my judgemental soapbox of the day... sorry if I've offended anyone!!

By the way, pray for Lauren as she sorts thru all this infant baptism stuff. Pray that she have wisdom to make a choice and have peace with whatever choice that is.
Parenting is hard enough without having to doubt the day to day decisions you make, let alone the ones that could have an eternal impact on our precious one's souls!!

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to bed I go... and I fully intend to sleep-in in the morning. Goodnight!!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

thanks for the prayer. :-)

was that your hubby who joined in the discussion?

i made cards one year. i'm doing a letter this year... running of copies at office max. i might use the stamps from the old card to accent them, we'll see. last year i made baby bear's birth announcements and mailed the christmas letter with them. i swore off making cards myself, but for ome reason i always consider it again. i think it's the thought of making something for someone. except mine aren't as cool as zann's. we're running short on time, so i fear it will just be a letter this year, with baby bear's pic enclosed.

FarmWife said...

Snow in the house? It makes me think of the year you drug the cooler full of snow into the kitchen for the boys to play in. Inkling loved that and called to tell me!

I'm all with you on the wild child issue. Baby Girl can throw a violent temper tantrum with the best of them (ususally only getting physical with her brothers), but she's never left unchecked. At School she's a perfect angel. I've never really understood that, but I'm thankful. I'd rather the beast reared it's ugly head at home than in public! Here we can nip it in the bud.

Grace said...

Yes, Lauren that was my Smart Guy that entered the discussion!! I'm actually suprised he behaved himself as well as he did!! I made him sit down and read thru your post, your friend's post, and all the comments that followed. He is one the smartest people I know, and just ask Inkling, he has a way of "gettin' your goat" when he wants to. The funny thing about him is that he like's to play the devil's advocate and make sure you've thought of everything before makeing a decision on what you believe. Sometimes you can't really even tell what he believes. It drives me nuts!! It can actually be quite annoying at times. Unfortunately there are still some things I believe just because I believe them and grew up that way, not necessarily because that's what scripture says. I'm quickly on my way to simply becoming a "red-letter Christian". When you add all that other stuff into the mix, it gets to complicated and I really don't believe that God ever intended for all this craziness to happen in His world.

Before Bee came along, I made my cards every year. After Bee, nope. I decided that since she's almost four this Christmas I should be able to get it done. We'll see. I also made her birth announcements, they were so sweet with picture of little 5 pound Bee in between her big brothers. The very last line of the journaling section was "We thank God for the miracle that it our family... we are now complete." Even with that statement we are still asked constantly if we're gonna have more. Come on people, we've got three, isn't that enough. Although, I have to admit, the urge for another comes and goes. If I didn't have to be pregnant to have another little person, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but alas that's kinda part of the process.

Farmwife, I had forgotten about that!! That was fun!! It did make a very large melting mess though!! By golly, I wasn't gonna let my boys miss the snow just because they were sick!!