Monday, December 11, 2006

Menu for Last Night's Youth Christmas Party

..which I made entirely by myself, because my usual helpers were unavailable yesterday and I didn't realize it until to late to get someone else!!

1. veggie platter

2. mini corn dogs (love 'em)

3. pizza dip

4. mini garlic breadsticks to dip in the pizza dip

5. little sausages wrapped in bacon, poked with a toothpick, sprinkled with
with brown sugar, and baked... I burnt the crap out of these babies.
The church only has convection ovens, which bake faster, which I knew. I know things usually take a little less time in the convection oven, but these things cooked in half the time. I was walking around the building with the timer in my hand, when it went off, I went into the kitchen and smelled burnt sugar immediately. I must confess, I said a four letter word. (under my breath of course, so it didn't count)

6. teryaki meatballs

7. potato chips and doritos

8. nacho dip... cream cheese, breakfast sausage, and rotel... looks like barf...
tastes amazing... and nacho chips

9. scotcheroos

10. gooey butter bars... or in the south, chess bars

11. magic cookie bars

12. chocolate peanut butter chip cookies

13. pop.... that's the carbonated stuff in a bottle or can that some wierdos in
other parts of the country refer to as soda, or in the case of the Atlanta area..
Coke... even if your drinking Pepsi... southerners, geez:)! (just kidding Lauren)

14. Grandma's Christmas punch... simply cranberry juice and 7-up. It was guzzled! She made this every holiday I can remember as a kid...the smell makes me miss her!


Thankfully I had made all the sweet stuff on Friday and Saturday so that was done. We went to church for Sunday School at 9:30 yesterday morning, went home for lunch at 12:30. Went back to the church at 1:15 and didn't come home until 8:00 last night. Just about all of it was gone when we cleaned up. I think someone actually licked the pizza dip dish clean:)! Of course there were veggies left, but who can blame 'em with all that other stuff there. Oh, yah, even the burnt wienies were eaten. I couldn't believe it. They apparently like Louisiana style blackened food here. Some of the guys went back and got a pile of them after they finished the first batch on their plates... personally, I found them to be disgusting... yuck!!

Well, I've got a house to get clean from letting it go this weekend. Mom's coming over tomorrow for the day so we can do our Christmas baking. I love that we're close enough to do that now!!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

ah, you forget that i am a transplant myself. born in the northeast, lived in the midwest til i was almost half as old as i am now... minus 2 years. so it's pop to me, too. except my dad grew up in ny, so to him it was soda, and when i'd ask for a pop, he'd say "i'm right here". sheesh.

it blew my mind the first time i asked for a coke and was asked "what kind?" and no, they weren't referring to the illegal kind. they meant coke, regular, diet, sprite, dr. pepper, or sun drop. can't forget the sun drop!

Sarah said...

Ooooooh, the soda vs pop thing was the HARDEST thing about moving to the midwest from california. I still don't like to say "pop"... Oy.

What's a magic cookie bar? I'm all for magic cookies (though, aren't they all?). I'm such a baking freak!