Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Question of the Week

Okay, so my mom went to the grocery store around 10:30 this morning and when she came home, she brought back some chicken fingers from the deli at Walmart. For anyone that has not had these, they are actually really good. Better than some big restaurant chains I've eaten at. Anyway, I was reading the back of the deli bag. They had the ingredients listed. Wheat was the very first ing. on the breading list. What I don't understand is that underneath the ingredients that had just listed wheat as an ing., they had an allergy allert panel stating that there was wheat in them. Pardon me if I'm being insensitive, but if you or your child has allergies to wheat and you see wheat in the ing. list, don't you assume that you should avoid that product? The craziest one I've seen... a peanut allergy warning on the back of the jar of peanut butter, come on. I'm allergic to peanuts (not deadly or anything) and I just roll my eyes at that one. Can anyone say, "duh". I can understand a warning if the product was made on a line with an allergen but doesn't contain that allergen, but why is it necessary to put allergy allerts for things that are very plainly listed in the ingredients list? Can anyone explain this to this apparently simple-minded Grace?

1 comment:

Lauren said...

because there are same lawsuit happy people who are either too lazy to read or cannot read because they dropped out of school. these are the same ones who live in the projects yet can afford plasma tv's and name-brand clothing.

sorry, hubby used to be a cop in the worst part of the city. our perception of their reality is a little skewed as a result. we're a little bit critical of a system the reinforces behavior patterns of people who don't need help, yet makes it next to impossible for those who really are trying to get ahead and change their circumstances. and the sad fact is that many people have been in the role of victim for so long, they like it that way.